LegacyGT.com

Front bumper modification with ETS front mount

With the motor going back together shortly, bigger turbo because bad decisions, been thinking about FMIC kits versus a GS TMIC. ETS and AVO seem to be the only 'premium' FMIC offerings, other than making my own kit and buying a separate core. Looking at the size of the ETS core, and the pictures from ETS, looks to me like about half of it is blocked by a non-modified 05-07 bumper. Curious what, if anything, those of you who run this kit might have done to improve flow routing and how it ended up looking.

Thanks!

I was in the process of returning the race wagon back to a top mount (found a complete processwest to put in); so have the Perrin fmic. The Perrin was tucked in behind the oem bumper and used ductwork on the front.

you might want to do some aero modeling on the fmic before deciding on purchase/mounting.

you might want to do some aero modeling on the fmic before deciding on purchase/mounting.

Ever the motivator you are. That's a good idea - maybe there's a way to promote flow higher up onto a blocked intercooler, though I have my doubts based on how tight the axial spacing is. Just need to jam some CFD time between working the day job, running a shop on the side and going to school part time. Might have to give up my weekly beer hour :lol:

I have the ETS core and built my own tubing.

I didn't do anything as far as ducting. I cut the front bumper as close to the intercooler as I could.

Don't have much as far as airflow stuff, but I do have temp data.

First pic is a third gear pull, 16 psi. Inlet temp is the air going into the turbo. EGT 7 is air coming out of the turbo. Intake air temp is air going into the throttle body. It manages to pull all the heat out.

Second pic is 1st through 4th gear, 16 psi. I didn't have the other sensors installed so I only have one temp sensor. Only had about a 30 degree increase throughout the pull.

I've really likes this intercooler. ETS makes quality stuff.

739760740_3rdgear.thumb.jpg.c4d19c2b95ae7ca5a1a6e551abfd74b9.jpg

1-4th.thumb.jpg.ce50263c379f6f0e2b843b2dc3a72582.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.17439c3b4d42ecca737017d45ec76a27.jpg

fmic.thumb.jpg.d4ff5933448de7434dd666855510903a.jpg

I have the ETS core and built my own tubing.

I didn't do anything as far as ducting. I cut the front bumper as close to the intercooler as I could.

Don't have much as far as airflow stuff, but I do have temp data.

First pic is a third gear pull, 16 psi. Inlet temp is the air going into the turbo. EGT 7 is air coming out of the turbo. Intake air temp is air going into the throttle body. It manages to pull all the heat out.

Second pic is 1st through 4th gear, 16 psi. I didn't have the other sensors installed so I only have one temp sensor. Only had about a 30 degree increase throughout the pull.

I've really likes this intercooler. ETS makes quality stuff.

Great data, thank you for sharing. I'm curious how a thinner core that still fills the window in the bumper would stack up. I'd expect some additional pressure loss if heat transfer efficiency was the same, but maybe it'd be minimal...

is that an outback hood?

It is.

Great data, thank you for sharing. I'm curious how a thinner core that still fills the window in the bumper would stack up. I'd expect some additional pressure loss if heat transfer efficiency was the same, but maybe it'd be minimal...

What turbo and how much power do you want? 300 hp worth of air probably not that big of difference. 600 hp you'd probably notice it. This is assuming same quality of core just different thickness.