LegacyGT.com

New To Forum 08 Outback XT

Hello. This, along with subaru outback.org, looks like the place to be if one wants to learn the ins and outs of Outbacks. I'm currently in the process of looking to purchase a 2008 Outback XT. Just under 149,000 km's (around 92,500 miles), excellent condition, 3 owner car (I'll be the 4th), timing belt was replaced at around 110,00 km's (about 68,300 miles). My question is; what are the main, known issues/problems to look for on these cars? Any and all help/advice would be much appreciated! I'm sure I'll be poking around here a lot in the coming years, as I'm a bit of a do it yourself kind of person, a subaru fan and I plan on owning this outback and or other subarus for the foreseeable future. I owned a 2011 impreza a few years back, but had to sell it due to life circumstances at that time. So happy to be getting back into a Subie! Why WOULDN'T you want all four wheels propelling you down the road?! Thank you in advance!

Wouldn’t hurt to see compression test #’s and a Blackstone oil analysis to check engine health. These forced induction motors generally do fine with routine maintenance but if it’s been slacked on, (especially if driven hard), then not so much...

Wouldn’t hurt to see compression test #’s and a Blackstone oil analysis to check engine health. These forced induction motors generally do fine with routine maintenance but if it’s been slacked on, (especially if driven hard), then not so much...

Ok thanks for your input!

Hi everyone. First I'd like to say thank you to everyone who gave their advice/recommendations. After a lot of thought and consideration, i've decided against the '08 XT I was looking to buy. Although I can afford to buy the car, it turns out it needs a bunch of work and I just can't afford to fix it, even if I do the work myself. Currently looking at another outback that is unfortunately not a turbo, but one that I can afford. I'll probably be making a new thread at some point because I'll need even more advice for this next one, as it's going to be a project. Thanks again for all your help. Cheers!

• 1 year later...

congrats on ur recent purchase!...Update nvm...read further down...lol

i am a new XT owner myself and got lucky with finding everything i wanted in it

i did about 2-3 months searching all over USA

AutoList is great...Craigslist is ok for your specific State but i would look out for Scammers from Out of State

i.e. wanted to buy one freshly traded in at Dealership...they told me with the amount of repairs needed, they weren't even going to offer it and send it straight to Auction

best of luck with your Search and if i can help in any way...PM me

Edited by Dreamnara8282