LegacyGT.com

New to me 2017 Legacy 2.5 Limited

Hello to everyone. I have been lurking and looking at potential problems like the head gasket, using oil, and coolant, and bad batteries.

I really like this car and want to keep it in great shape, but I bought at an out-of-state dealer and my local ones get poor ratings.

It is a CPO car and needs nothing, but need to know which asian coolant to use and where do I get online OEM oil filters and parts.

Thanks,

Brent

... potential problems like the head gasket, using oil, and coolant, and bad batteries.

Step 1: Chill! Head gaskets are a non-issue with the current (MY 2015-2019) engines, FB25 and EZ36. Engine oil consumption varies a lot from car to car, from virtually zero consumption between 6,000 mile oil changes to as much as a quart every 3,000 miles. Coolant loss (mainly due to evaporation from the expansion reservoir) is typically only a few ounces per year. Normal battery life is about 3 years; if in doubt, just replace the OE battery with a name brand battery from BCI Group 25, 24 (not 24F!), or 34 (not 34R!). Monthly overnight use of a "smart" battery charger/maintainer (a.k.a. battery minder, battery tender, etc.) is recommended to keep your battery in top condition, especially if you don't drive much or your driving is primarily short trips.

... need to know which asian coolant to use ...
Use the coolant specified in your Owners Manual: "SUBARU Super Coolant" (blue). Buy it from a Subaru dealer. Do not mix different coolant types or brands, due to possible incompatibility of the anti-corrosion additives.

... where do I get online OEM oil filters and parts.
Many Subaru dealers sell parts online, often at discounts up to 30% off MSRP. Two I have used in the past and would recommend are Subaru Online Parts and Heuberger Subaru. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png