rao

Lisa Fleming

Subaru of America, Inc.

(856) 488-5093

lfleming@subaru.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SUBARU NOVEMBER SALES RISE

-- Company on pace to set third consecutive all-time sales record this year --

CHERRY HILL, N.J., Dec. 1, 2005 -- Subaru of America, Inc. today reported a rise in November sales totaling 14,521 units, an increase of five percent for the month over last year. Total sales are also up five percent year-to-date from the previous year and the company is on track to achieve a third consecutive all-time sales record in 2005.

“We are very pleased to report an increase in November sales. The all-new Subaru B9 Tribeca led the way, posting its strongest sales month to-date, as popularity and demand for the new product continues to grow,” said Bill Cyphers, vice president of sales, Subaru of America, Inc. “Even among some of the most difficult market conditions, Subaru is on track to set yet another all-time sales record this year.”

The Subaru B9 Tribeca recorded a solid 2,129 units for the month of November. The Subaru Legacy model line posted a total 5,522units, with Subaru Outback posting 3,612 units for the month. Subaru Impreza totaled 2,692 unit sales, up seven percent for the month. Subaru Forester posted 3,739 units, while Subaru Baja recorded 439 units for November.

For a complete sales chart and additional information about Subaru of America, Inc. and Subaru vehicles, visit our media website at www.media.subaru.com.

About Subaru of America, Inc.

Subaru of America, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J., the company markets and distributes Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of nearly 600 dealers across the United States. Subaru makes the best-selling All-Wheel Drive car sold in America based on R.L. Polk & Co. new vehicle retail registration statistics calendar year-end 2004. For additional information visit www.subaru.com.

http://tinypic.com/i2vkvs.jpg

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Weird, I wouldn't have expected the Legacy to outsell the Impreza since I see so many on the road. That's very good news though. I hope it helps Subaru realize that there is a good market for other products over here. We shall see.

So without the Tribeca, a new market segment, Subaru's sales would be down 10% over last year. For the year, Legacy sales are slightly declining. Disappointing for the second year of a car that requires word of mouth to sell. Its a good thing Subary made the Tribeca investment to keep their sales base up.

So without the Tribeca, a new market segment, Subaru's sales would be down 10% over last year. For the year, Legacy sales are slightly declining. Disappointing for the second year of a car that requires word of mouth to sell. Its a good thing Subary made the Tribeca investment to keep their sales base up.

Whoa there :eek: are you suggesting that the sales results are anything less then spectacular? ;)

I tried that and got slammed last month.

I still am surprised the legacy outsells the outback. around here it's 10-1 the opposite way round.

My take is that the Outback is a subcategory of the Legacy so you get (if I read the numbers right) 5522 total minus 3512 Outbacks equals 2010 real Legacies. You also can't tell Outback sedan vs. Outback wagon sales but there is not much mystery there.

not certain i fully understand that sales chart. the caption talks about Subaru of America, and how its based in NJ, and how it distributes vehicles to dealers throughout the U.S., and that its announcing sales of 14,521 total units. but then the chart splits that number among "domestic" and "japan". looks like a subtle but clever attempt to inflate its own figures. am i wrong about this?

p.s. i never realized how many more legacy wagons are sold vs. the sedans. i wonder what the ratio is among GT versions?

CHERRY HILL, N.J., Dec. 1, 2005 -- Subaru of America, Inc. today reported a rise in November sales totaling 14,521 units, an increase of five percent for the month over last year. Total sales are also up five percent year-to-date from the previous year and the company is on track to achieve a third consecutive all-time sales record in 2005.

Hey, I was one of them. Woo hoo!!!!:icon_bigg

According to this autoblog entry (for November):

GM: -11.3 percent

Ford: -18 percent

DaimlerChrysler: -6.6 percent

Toyota: +5.5 percent

Honda: +6.4 percent

Nissan: -7.7 percent

Subaru: +.5 percent

Suzuki: +13.5 percent

BMW: +7 percent

Isuzu: -53.2 percent (Ouch!)

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Part of the reason there wasn't more imprezas sold is because they didn't make enough.

Indeed. After finding out that the new WRX Limited wagon with ACC doesn't share the Legacy's integrated ACC/stereo problem, I thought I might look at one as an alternative to a LGT Limited wagon. I tried checking online inventories for local dealers to see who had one. Out of several local dealers, I found exactly one unit, and it was an auto. In fact, the stock numbers for the whole Impreza line were low. Plenty of Outbacks, though.

Some regional sales annecdotes:

My local dealer (Twin City Subaru - Montpelier) is swimming in B9s. Subaru's are the unofficial state car in these parts, as with some parts of Colorado and the Pac Northwest. They account for 15-20% of the cars in the municpal lot where I park during the work week. That said, most of them are Outbacks and Impreza wagons, although there's another nice LGT wagon in my lot and a rarer 3.0 Outback coupe (OT - did they ever pair the 3.0 with a 5 speed?).

Anyway, the B9 is a VERY slow seller up here, probably because wallets are a little thinner is this area and because of local affection for the wagon body style, which is so versatile for outdoor sports in this climate. SUVs and crossovers do not sell well up here, due to the elevated price and the fact that their higher center of gravity is more of a winter-driving liability than any benefit from added ground clearance. You see quite a few full size, 4WD pickups, but very few SUVs.

In case anybody's shopping, I was at the dealer today getting my extended roof pod (E361SAG300) and they still have three new unsold 2005 LGT Ltd Wagons. All are 5EATs, in silver, blue and red. They're all discounted a full $5K off MSRP before any haggling (signs on windshields). Guees they haven't been able to move GTs like they move OBs and base models. Tons of '06 Legacies and B9s on the lot; very few Imprezas and not a single STi.

Anyway, the B9 is a VERY slow seller up here, probably because wallets are a little thinner is this area and because of local affection for the wagon body style, which is so versatile for outdoor sports in this climate. SUVs and crossovers do not sell well up here, due to the elevated price and the fact that their higher center of gravity is more of a winter-driving liability than any benefit from added ground clearance. You see quite a few full size, 4WD pickups, but very few SUVs.

I live in an area where SUVs sell very well, but have seen very few B9's on the road. Most of the '05 and '06 models I see on the road are Outbacks, Foresters, and Legacies (in decreasing order of frequency).

In case anybody's shopping, I was at the dealer today getting my extended roof pod (E361SAG300) and they still have three new unsold 2005 LGT Ltd Wagons. All are 5EATs, in silver, blue and red. They're all discounted a full $5K off MSRP before any haggling (signs on windshields). Guees they haven't been able to move GTs like they move OBs and base models. Tons of '06 Legacies and B9s on the lot; very few Imprezas and not a single STi.

I've noticed the local dealership (Fitzmall) has a few remaining '05s that have been sitting for a while. I suspect that slow sell off of the remaining '05 models is due to generally slow vehicle sales (lots of buyers went for the GM and Ford deals a while back while Subaru has kept their prices up) and the recent '06 IIHS crash tests (which make the '05 look bad in comparison).

Archived