LegacyGT.com

05 forester xt engine into an 07 legacy gt

So a few days ago I blew a rod on my 2007 legacy gt, it was only a matter of time. this is my daily driver so I’ve been trying to find a direct drop in because I just don’t got the funds and time to do a full rebuild and swap etc etc...

So this 2005 forester xt has popped up and he’s willing to give me the full car for a good price because he needs it out of his shop...

Now my question is, will a 2005 forester xt engine drop straight into my 2007 legacy gt?

I’ve been trying to look for an answer and I’m getting mixed ones, it’s mostly because I’m not sure if the 05 xt would be a direct swap for the 07 legacy, I’m pretty sure it’s the same as the 06 legacy gt, but Through my research I couldn’t find a direct answer.

I just don’t want to buy the car and realize there’s multiple modifications I have to do to get it back on the road.

Sorry if there’s a post about this already but I’ve been trying to research and couldn’t find a direct answer for my situation

The shortblock is going to be the same, you need to swap your intake manifold onto the XT motor & you would use your stock top mount and wire harness, but everything else should bolt up.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Is your a 5mt or 5eat tranny ?

The 5mt engines have two guides in the upper corners of the timing belt covers that 5eat's don't require.

You can keep them when you use that engine on a 5eat, but if you get the engine from a automatic car you will have to add the guides to put that engine in a 5mt car.

The guides help keep the belt in place when you push in the clutch from high rpm's.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

There's the service manual if you need it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is your a 5mt or 5eat tranny ?

The 5mt engines have two guides in the upper corners of the timing belt covers that 5eat's don't require.

You can keep them when you use that engine on a 5eat, but if you get the engine from a automatic car you will have to add the guides to put that engine in a 5mt car.

The guides help keep the belt in place when you push in the clutch from high rpm's.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

There's the service manual if you need it.

Thank you they are both 5speed manual

i looked at the forester today and its the ej255 ab440

now i have the 07 legacy gt which is a ej255 ab630

would that be compatible? and if so what would you have to do too make it compatible?

If you haven't done the air pump delete on your 07 yet you'll have to do it with the 05 motor. You'll only have to follow the instructions on how to get the ambient air pressure sensor to still work. The heads are different between the 07 and 05 so if you're using more than the short block you'll need to keep that into consideration.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Edited by B-BGTLimited