LegacyGT.com

Transmission shudder

Hi all, new here and have a issue with my 09 outback xt.

When I go somewhere it drives awesome until the transmission warms up.

After it warms up I get a shudder between 25&30mph and between 35&40mph.

If I hit the gas or take my foot off of the gas for a second it goes away.

This only happens when the transmission is at operating temp.

And it don't really do it at all in sharp sport mode, mainly in I, a little in s not in #s.

Its a 2009 outback xt

115k miles

5eat transmission.

I did change the fluid with the hp fluid recommended and shudder still there.

Any ideas or anyone deal with this before?

Maybe buy a tactrix cable and download FreeSSM and do a reset(clear memory 2) on the transmission module. There is an easy procedure if you search for it and my cable was like $9 on fleabay.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Maybe buy a tactrix cable and download FreeSSM and do a reset(clear memory 2) on the transmission module. There is an easy procedure if you search for it and my cable was like $9 on fleabay.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

09 can't use vagcom. Has to be actual tactrix.

Have you checked for play in the axles and things like that? Don't have an aftermarket front axle in there do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's worth having one just because the stock tune sucks.

It just seems odd to me though that it would be the trans cause shudders at low load and a specific speed. It certainly could be, I don't know much about the 5eat.

I'm mostly just trying to think through the logic. 35-40 low load should be a specific gear. If it isn't doing it in s# or I that doesn't make a lot of sense to me as that basically changes throttle tip in and boost. I'd think it would still do it in those modes. Do you have the flappy paddles? Does it do it in all gears?

There's just so many things that cause shudders in these cars. Out of balance wheels and worn steering dampers come to mind first. I've heard of worn steering dampers causing vibrations in very specific speed ranges.

It's worth having one just because the stock tune sucks.

It just seems odd to me though that it would be the trans cause shudders at low load and a specific speed. It certainly could be, I don't know much about the 5eat.

I'm mostly just trying to think through the logic. 35-40 low load should be a specific gear. If it isn't doing it in s# or I that doesn't make a lot of sense to me as that basically changes throttle tip in and boost. I'd think it would still do it in those modes. Do you have the flappy paddles? Does it do it in all gears?

There's just so many things that cause shudders in these cars. Out of balance wheels and worn steering dampers come to mind first. I've heard of worn steering dampers causing vibrations in very specific speed ranges.

It does it with the manual mode also, and usually 4th and 5th gear.

I think torque converter or bad valves.

I had similar shudder that would happen on a gentle incline where it couldn't decide whether to up/down shift and would similarly shuttle back and forth for a sec or so. I had higher mileage on mine , 150kish but never could specify what was causing it. FF> I replaced that one w a brand new OEM that I lucked upon for $1500. I had trans cooler, many flushings and all the band-aids available and just drove it till I found silver in the fluid

Wait, this is under the forum titled 3rd gen (2004-2009) under the section 4TH gen (2005-2009)? Which way is UP?

Third Gen outback and fourth Gen legacy are the same years. So for the most part same cars. Not exactly but close enough.

A friend of mine had an 08 OBXT that did this weird shuddering as you describe. Unfortunately, the car was rear-ended and totaled before anything came to light with it. Nothing otherwise was adverse about the driving experience with that 5EAT.

Dang well officially over my head. Be interested to see what it was when it gets sorted.

I noticed odd shifts now to like while driving steady speed it will down shift up shift back and forth.

I ordered a solinoid kit for it because I'm leaning towards a failing solinoid.

• 1 month later...

How did you replace the torque converter? Did you pull the engine? If so, I think I remember that torque converter being held in place by a snap ring on the inside of the transmission or front diff. I'd be interested in knowing what method you used to swap it out.

Glad you got it resolved and glad that you posted what it was for future searchers.

Tom

How did you replace the torque converter? Did you pull the engine? If so, I think I remember that torque converter being held in place by a snap ring on the inside of the transmission or front diff. I'd be interested in knowing what method you used to swap it out.

Glad you got it resolved and glad that you posted what it was for future searchers.

Tom

I'm not near my computer right now but if you check out the vacation pix it should have details in there. I don't know much about automagics but I'd think it would not be attached to the front diff.

Vacation pix will also tell you if it's a one time use snap ring or such.

Tom

I had a friend do it, he pulled the engine and that's all I know.

Sorry I don't have more info.

This doesn't help you now, but I had non Subaru vehicle with a torque converter shudder @ 160k miles. A trusted high performance transmission rebuilder suggested I try lubeguard. I added a bottle to my transmission fluid and the shudder went away, I sold it 10k miles later, so I don't know how long the fix lasted.

• 1 year later...

This is the product suggested by Dave (HexMod) for just this kind of situation.

https://lucasoil.com/product-spotlight/5420-lucas-transmission-fix-stop-slip

Happy to hear the converter swap helped. Kicking myself again for not putting a new one in while my motor was out.

But in the end mine was doing this for over eight years. Not drastic but now enough it needs to be dealt with.

Trans Fluid Pan drop every other oil change is just good practice with these 5EAT. Not to say I make that goal but do it at least once every 6 months.

Now with 257K on the car I'm going for a rebuild. Will be nice to have a solid feel after lockup again. I miss it. Plus looking forward to improved gas mileage.

Mine is only slipping on the freeway while headed up hill or increasing speed on the flats. Changing to manual mode makes no difference.

So in the end well get this unit ready for summer.