LegacyGT.com

Help! Engine Troubleshooting

I have a 2007 Spec B with a stage 2 tune from Cobb. I use it as my daily driver and have not had any issues up to this point. Today when I was driving, if I got into boost or even moderate acceleration (around 3K), the check engine and traction control light would flash and the car would either cut out or turn off completely. I plugged in the COBB tuner to see what diagnostic codes would come up and nothing....I waited a few minutes and car would start back up. It doesn't make any funny noises, have weird smells, it really performs normal...I can't figure out what would cause this kind of behavior.

Any thoughts or anybody that has had similar experience?

I should also add that when the car dies completely, it won't even turn over when you try to start it. It acts like a car with a dead battery would. That rules out something like a vacuum leak or something that could cause a car to stumble or stutter. It shuts down like the computer is completely dead.

Edited by bradyhall

Easy things would be,

Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight

May be reset that big electrical connector by the left shock tower

Do the gauges sweep when you turn the key to On after this happens ?

How old is the battery ? if newer, nothing is perfect, have it tested.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The weird thing is that everything else functions on the car. The radio doesn't turn off, the gauges do the sweep thing when it is turned to on position, but it will not engage the starter for minute. It almost seems like some kind of "fail safe" mode is triggered that shuts the engine down. I don't know enough about the stage 2 tunes to know if there is such a feature. I would thing that a trouble code would pop up if that was the case???

If the battery terminals are dirty, there will be enough current flow to run the small things, but not enough to spin the starter.

Check the terminals.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here