LegacyGT.com

Max Tire Sidewall Size for 2007 Legacy?

Hi all! I just bought a used 2007 Legacy for my son and want to get new tires. Roads here are pretty bad with potholes, so I want to get some nice fat tires on the stock rims.

Does anyone know? I figured there would be a thread but I searched and couldn't find anything. Sorry if this has already been answered :redface:

Welcome! This thread might be somewhat helpful if you haven't seen it yet: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-offsets-sizes-rims-and-tires-gt-xenonk-version-vol-262472.html

Do you have a 2.5i or GT? If you have a 2.5i, you could switch to 16" wheels for maximum sidewall height. FWIW, back when I lived in upstate NY, the stock 205/50/17 tires on my old 2.5i did fine on the fairly pothole-ridden roads we had.

Are the stock wheels the factory 17s or 16s?

Either way, a 215/55R17 fit under the stock wheel arch and suspension on my Legacy GT wagon as that was what was on there when I purchased it, so you should be able to fit that no problem as well. Use the Tacomaworld tire calculator to measure differences in diameter between your planned setup and my previous to get an idea for what you can fit. You might be able to fit a 225/55R17, but I wouldn't try larger than that.

FWIW, if you want pothole protection and soft ride, you are best shooting for max width first, then max sidewall. a 235/45/17 tire shoe-horned on the stock 17x7 would be my choice for the stated goal. 225/55/17 is outback sizing and too big for a regular legacy for a gearing/clearance perspective.