LegacyGT.com

Crank pulley. OEM or lightweight AM for RELIABILITY?

I don't care about power gains. Only thing I care about is installing what's healthiest for the engine.

All the talk about aftermarket pulleys not balancing harmonics is freaking me out. Are there any lightweight pulleys that DO balance harmonics, or is OEM the only way to go for this?

I had both a Perrin LW and Fluidampr available when I was putting my engine back together. Went with the Fluidampr based on SO MANY recommendations from here.

I would also advise on getting a Fluidampr. Pricey, but worth it.

FWIW My LGT has a stock block w/a Blouch 380XT, ELH, ID 1050Xs, catted DP, 3" cat-back to Wangan cans, Cobb intake, Perrin inlet, IAG TGV deletes, IAG phenolic spacers, Cobb EBCS, Grimmspeed TMIC, and a protune by IAG. I'd say that my LGT w/Fluidampr and mods runs smoother than my stock 08 OBXT w/OEM pulley.

I vote Fluidampr or OEM if for no other reason than the flywheel effect. I did not enjoy the feeling of taking off or shifting with the lightweight pulley. YMMV

Whether the Fluidampr is able to absorb torsional harmonics better than OEM? I understand the theory but afaik there’s no objective data to point to.

Healthiest for OEM is OEM. Healthiest for hi-po is fliud damper on a balanced assembly. That being said I ran a Perrin LW for 175k on My 2.5rs. It completely eliminated the non-turbo flat spot at 2500 rpm. It made the engine less buzzy and produced about 2 mpg.