LegacyGT.com

The AWD Twin Turbo Concept Beretta.

So in 2018, I had the opportunity to buy a car that I had learned about many many years ago and hoped someday to simply be able to see it at GM's Heritage Museum. When it sold at Barrett Jackson in 2008 due to GM needing to liquidate it's assets I figured that chance was gone. In 2010 it surfaced once again on Ebay and amazingly was local in CT. I took this opportunity to go to the dealer that had it (original buyer from Barrett Jackson) and at least get some good photos of it and be able to see it. Back in 2010 I was in no position to buy this car so once again it was out of my reach. That was that until 2018 rolled around and the Feretta was making headlines again in our group, another concept car (V8 FWD) that sold at the same time and another member was trying to obtain to save it.

When I saw that member obtain the Feretta, and others start to ask about the AWD TT car, I decided since I knew were it once was, that I should research it again. I was now able to purchase this car and luckily the original Barrett Jackson buyer still had it. Emails were sent and we agreed upon a price. I went and picked it up the next day. The nice thing about buying the car from a used car dealer/collector, he was able to re-write the bill of sale to have the actual vin number that was noted on the door and under the carpet, this allowed me to register the vehicle as a 1988 Beretta CL 2.8L v6 car. On to the back story about the car, as found in HotRod Magazine June 1998 Edition.

Since buying this car I have found a few items that needed to be replaced or serviced since it’s been sitting so long… Lets start with the fuel system. Luckily the tank and everything else was in good condition and working order, the injectors on the other hand… those needed to be fully replaced. Being so old, one failed shut and another was stuck open. Car ran, but not well at all. I did get the car running and driving for Bfest 2018, but unfortunately the turbos were not up to snuff to perform the way they should. They are variable vane turbos and the rear one the vane system is stuck in the quick spool location. They are supposed to transition to allow more flow as the boost rises but the actuator was stuck. That’s a project for the future when I really dig into it.

Items replaced so far, fuel injectors, water pump, motor mounts, brake pads, rotors, rebuilt calipers and master cylinder. I’m sure as time goes on, I’ll find more that needs to be replaced and fixed, and hopefully when I do, I’m able to find parts for it.

Final plans for the car, Full drive-line tear down and restoration to how it was when they were last testing it. I don’t plan on upgrading anything other than getting many items cleaned up and powder coated. This car will stay as original as it was when GM had it in their heritage collection.

Updated list of things I have modified or changed since getting it.

Rebuilt all brake calipers

replaced all brake pad

replaced all rotors

replaced fuel filter

replaced water pump

replaced all engine mounts

replaced fuel injector since 2 were dead

replaced braided fuel lines due to leaking/vapor issues

tore down, cleaned up and rebuilt brake master (can't find seals to replace, application unknown)

Installed Moates chip adapter and created new bin/chip to idle better, lowered MAF tables.

welded in O2 sensor bung so I can monitor O2 with wideband, No narrow band used at all.

replaced Battery

replaced missing VIN tag under windshield

AWD-TT-Article.thumb.jpg.f96c457490e1093d718412e9e64d1f9c.jpg

2-feb.thumb.jpg.86325879f688b18187f714c4cff16242.jpg

Here are some more photos of the undercarriage and how the AWD system is setup.

Keep in mind the Pontiac 6000 that they stole many parts from was an auto AWD setup with a 3t40 transmission modified for the transfer case. There was never an AWD 5-speed car sold to the public to my knowledge...

IMG_20180311_183846.thumb.jpg.b411b52db80a272106bfb6777753e05c.jpg

IMG_20180311_183903.thumb.jpg.1dbb038e064dfd174356e7406a68c21f.jpg

IMG_20180311_183910.thumb.jpg.31adc641acbd00377f9b266027c63607.jpg

IMG_20180311_183933.thumb.jpg.6b0724a5832c7263069ddd020b215c3b.jpg

IMG_20180311_183947.thumb.jpg.882e3dbe7a6c96991bcfae576e28ae87.jpg

IMG_20180311_184050.thumb.jpg.12168e7a35689186a238acf5949f09a3.jpg

IMG_20180311_183859.thumb.jpg.2ae2007a222b83df9105581f331ab0c3.jpg

orca-image-1520794839056.jpg_1520794839188.thumb.jpg.00911886cd013861717af5a900c364c1.jpg

First post has photos of the drivetrain... I haven't had any of it out yet so those are the best photos that I have. You can see how they just welded bosses to the side of the 282 Getrag transmission to bolt the adapter housing to for the transfer case... and trust me I've looked everywhere to find out what that came from and I can not find an application anywhere... it's not from the automatic 3t40 AWD Pontiac, it may be a one off case that they made for this testing to work with a 5-speed.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Edited by B-BGTLimited

First post has photos of the drivetrain... I haven't had any of it out yet so those are the best photos that I have. You can see how they just welded bosses to the side of the 282 Getrag transmission to bolt the adapter housing to for the transfer case... and trust me I've looked everywhere to find out what that came from and I can not find an application anywhere... it's not from the automatic 3t40 AWD Pontiac, it may be a one off case that they made for this testing to work with a 5-speed.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The first post shows the links broken, no pictures.

Im suprised GM used VNT style turbos. The only other manufacturer at the time using/experimenting with them was Chrysler/Shelby.

Scotty

They are all imbedded to the post, I'm not sure how else to ensure the pictures display. May be how or where you're viewing the post from? All of the photos even download on my phone using tapatalk. :spin:

From what I could find only Honda had VNT turbos in a production vehicle in 88 and that was in Japan only too. I was extremely surprised to see something like this on this car. I wish I had the time right now to tear them off and see how they are setup, but with my 96 Beretta apart, my 06 Legacy down to a shell, and needing to help my father on his 34 Chevy, I've got enough on my plate right now... lol

Edited by B-BGTLimited

The VNT turbos work the same in principle as the VGT turbos on diesels. Chrysler/ Shelby had a production car in 89 with a VNT turbo, the 89 Shelby CSX. Im 90% sure that they were developing that as far back as 87.

I'm on the tapatalk app, maybe if I switch to browser?? I'll find out soon enough!

Scotty