LegacyGT.com

Whirring noise from parked car

Hi folks,

I have a 2017 Legacy 2.5i Premium, 144,000 miles, purchased 8 months ago. The car is in good shape mechanically, has been regularly serviced, and I have had no problems so far. It is parked in a closed garage and I heard a whirring/buzzing noise today for the first time when I went into the garage to get something. Please check out the attached video. The noise seems to be coming from behind the left rear wheel. Could it be the fuel pump? The noise stopped by itself about 10 minutes after I started investigating it. I didn't do anything to the car (lock/unlock etc.) to make the noise go away. The car was driven five hours earlier with no issues. I ran basic diagnostics with an OBD reader and received no error codes. I will check regularly whether the noise returns, but this is the first time ever. Thank you very much for any insight and advice.

See: 2017 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 9. You have at least scanned the Owners Manual, haven't you?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

See: 2017 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 9. You have at least scanned the Owners Manual, haven't you?

Thank you, Ammcinnis!! :lol:

I wouldn't have known where to look even if I had checked the manual! Greatly appreciate the help, and relieved to learn that this noise is normal.

Oddly, this is the first time I have ever heard it, but I guess there are too many variables why I may have not heard it before.

Edited by comotiger

The sound is disconcerting. I still stop and listen every time I'm in the garage and it randomly begins.

With that said the first time I heard it I Googled it and found an appropriate answer. Just sayin'!

How's the weather out there these days? The worst ice I've ever seen in my life was just east of MO, in IL. Heading to St Louis way back when I was completely blown away at how many cars had slipped off the side of the road, as well as how many were on their sides or upside down. :eek:

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

The sound is disconcerting. I still stop and listen every time I'm in the garage and it randomly begins.

With that said the first time I heard it I Googled it and found an appropriate answer. Just sayin'!

How's the weather out there these days? The worst ice I've ever seen in my life was just east of MO, in IL. Heading to St Louis way back when I was completely blown away at how many cars had slipped off the side of the road, as well as how many were on their sides or upside down. :eek:

Yeah, that sound was very disconcerting. I am glad it is normal.

We have had good weather. Very early snow in October but things have been quiet since. Be well and take care.