LegacyGT.com

Rattle from Bass in Driver Door 2020 Limited

Hello! This is my first time posting here and I was hoping I could get some help isolating a noise in my driver door. I have had it at the dealership twice now, the first time they lined the door with dynamat. The noise was back shortly after. The second time I took it in they claimed that it is "just a feature" and something that I will have to deal with. I asked them why it's only on the driver door and goes away when i pull on the door pocket but again they said they've done all they can do. I got home and popped the door off myself. The first thing I thought it could be is the plastic frame of the door vibrating against the metal of the door so i lined the plastic with adhesive felt but it still returned. Then i read something online about how it could be the little 6-8 plastic clips that pop the door into place so I also lined those with adhesive felt here and there and also tried removing each one individually to see if just one was at fault. None of these helped to alleviate the noise, in fact all my messing around within the door appears to have made it worse. It goes away almost entirely when you pull on the door pocket and sounds like it is coming from the top on the opposite side of the door lock/handle. I tried to find similar scenarios on other forums such as the outback forum (because the cars have essentially the same doors) but have had no luck.

Video:

This type of rattle is difficult to pinpoint exactly, and most often the perceived location is not the actual origin of the rattle.

It's really trial and error. Anything that can rattle should be lined with either friction tape or adhesive foam tape.

In some cases, the rattle originates from the window mechanism attached to the inside of the door panel. Try to see if you can access it and check the bolts/screws for tightness, or add friction tape at strategic locations.

Both my GF and I have identical '20 Legacy Limited. On hers, I soon detected a noise coming from the passenger front door. Like an old CD case left in the door pocket when closing or shaking the door. It was found that a steel bar front the window mechanism or structural was not tightened at all. Ask if your delaer looked at that.

After a little bit of trial and error I was finally able to solve the issue. I have no idea what the mechanism is, but there is a small plastic piece toward the bottom of the door opposite the side of the speaker that rattled against the metal of the door. I originally couldn’t see this piece because the dynamat the dealer installed covered it. I placed two pieces of felt tape around the plastic piece and poof the rattle is gone! I wish I took a photo of the piece but I hope this helps somebody else!