LegacyGT.com

2005 Subaru Legacy BPE Cabin Filter

Okay so the OEM Subaru one is a horrendous price so I finally found one on E-Bay that fitted the OEM measurements and it works.

Not as easy to fit under the plastic retaining tabs as the OEM one but got two of them delivered for like NZD$23 and you pay $60 for ONE from Subaru and it doesn't even have much filtration and no carbon in it.

Fitting is easy, lower the Glovebox and pull out the plastic shelf thats to the left of the NAV CD player in the JDM version. The white tray just pulls out from the bottom by flexing the removal tabs slightly.

The part number your looking for is 1J912025 on E-Bay.

Edited by Tronic
added a line for part number

If you can get Wix filters in NZ you should be able to get them cheaper. They are carbon activated. I get them in Canada for about $10 so $23NZD for two, shipped, is pretty good.

SuperCheap Auto has Sakura brand ones (SPO4160242) for $22NZD as well if you have one local and can't wait for shipping. Not sure if it is carbon activated though.

If you can get Wix filters in NZ you should be able to get them cheaper. They are carbon activated. I get them in Canada for about $10 so $23NZD for two, shipped, is pretty good.

SuperCheap Auto has Sakura brand ones (SPO4160242) for $22NZD as well if you have one local and can't wait for shipping. Not sure if it is carbon activated though.

Not down here, pricing is expensive on everything. Buying more and more on E-Bay these days. No chance of getting anything at that price here, for starters nobody does free shipping. Try at least $7.50 just to get it sent to you locally. Pretty much anyone can wait for it they need changing at the same intervals as the engine air filter, 40,000Km and they look pretty stuffed.

FWIW I had good luck few times buying them bulk on ebay shipped from China. Came all stacked together in one small box, each filter in individual wrapping. Look for Toyota Sienna 05-09, Mazda MPV or Subaru Tribeca cabin filters - they are all the same size.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I had an idea, the Subaru OEM cabin filter is not paper.

What I did was fill a sink with hot water and dishwashing liquid and gently swirled the filter around in it.

95% of the crap washed out of it and its reusable. I didn't even need to hit it with compressed air, just let it drain out then just put it flat to finish drying out.

I suspect you can wash it at least 2 or 3 times before you need to chuck it.