LegacyGT.com

First off, sorry if I’m not doing this right.

96 Legacy Brighton 2.2 5 speed...

CEL turned on otw to work, 65 mph. Was 28°ish, light snow. No change in performance. If no light, I would have never suspected a thing.. I got to work and pulled a P0500. Kinda read up on it, but drove home after work suspecting maybe tire slippage on snow(?). Everything was normal. Speedometer works, does 65+, will rev very high when punched (no tach in Brighton), really nothing different... Disconnected battery to clear code. Started this morning with CEL still. Same P0500. Pulled cluster and tightened the screws behind speedometer, checked sensor at gearbox- found and repaired nick in wire. Disconnected battery. Started up and CEL and (only) P0500 still showing. Drove around a bit to see if it would turn off. Drives normal, idles normal, speedometer reads right, revs high (I’m assuming redlining but no tach) when punched, just the light stays on. Voltmetered battery, 14.7ish at idle.

Wtf? Any ideas?

Edited by noobieofdeath

The CEL comes on right when you start it before the car moves? That would seem to indicate an open or short circuit to the sensor or an electronically blown sensor so that the computer can sense a problem without movement. You would really need a Factory Service Manual for your year to systematically check the wiring. The steps would be checking continuity on some wires and check for voltage or ground on some. An OBD II tool that can view live data would help a lot, too. For this kind of thing I use an elm327 OBD II to Blutooth adapter and the Torque Android app. Should be under $10, but there are other similar options for iphone etc.

If you look around this site for my Vacation Pictures you should be able to see some of the relevant diagrams in some of the shots. Some of the links are dead so you might have to try a few.

doublechaz

Thanks for your reply. That is exactly what is happening. I was hoping for a “you forgot to [insert incredibly easy oversight here], dummy” answer. Lol. Diagnosing electrical and wiring is way above my threshold of pain for a 96 legacy. I’ll have to drive her into the ground. RIP The Snot Rocket. (Maybe she’ll still roll a few years like previous soobies too stubborn to die.)

Fortunately I have her replacement, El Pato Verde, a 96 outback standing by and ready to rumble.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

doublechaz

Thanks for your reply. That is exactly what is happening. I was hoping for a “you forgot to [insert incredibly easy oversight here], dummy” answer. Lol. Diagnosing electrical and wiring is way above my threshold of pain for a 96 legacy. I’ll have to drive her into the ground. RIP The Snot Rocket. (Maybe she’ll still roll a few years like previous soobies too stubborn to die.)

Fortunately I have her replacement, El Pato Verde, a 96 outback standing by and ready to rumble.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

Depending on where in the world you are there might be someone around to give you a hand with it.

453747.png