LegacyGT.com

Need help identifying this turboed 90's Legacy

There's a turboed 1998 Legacy sedan for sale near me. It's got me curious as

1) I own a 1998 Legacy GT and the body doesn't match up, the one pictured seems an older model. Interior as well seems different.

2) As far as I know there is no left-hand drive turboed Subaru sedan in the late 90's released in North America (I'm in Canada). I think possibly though in the early 90's there was.

3) I figured it might be a swapped engine but the rear badging does say Legacy Turbo. Also no AWD badge so perhaps a FWD model.

Anyways here's some pics of it:

sub-1.jpg

sub-2.jpg

sub-3.jpg

sub-4.jpg

sub-6.jpg

Thanks. Yeah it seemed it was merely misslabled as 1998.

Haven't spoke to the owner yet. Seems in rough shape. 300,000k on the car but it only mentions the need for a new fuel pump. From the pics it also seems without the bottom door molding on passenger side as well.

It might be worth the restore or not. I mean if money was not an issue yes I'd buy and restore it as it is a classic and rare. I thought of possibly doing an engine swap into my car but the 2.2L Turbo engine doesn't appear to be putting out any more HP than my 98' GT stock and since I got a running strong 2.5 engine in my car that's OG it doesn't make sense to frankenstein the car away from original spec. Well, aside from doing some basic upgrades to the existing engines but no turbo.

It's a closed deck 2.2 and has oil squirters that help with oiling. All in all that engine is way over built and is worth at least double what they are asking for the car (I don't know what they are asking for it.) Plus with a proper turbo with an inter-cooler set up, you can easily bump up the HP

Someone posted a first gen red legacy turbo sedan on facebook marketplace yesterday and it was gone in 2 hours. Jump on this if you still have the option! I would imagine even if you just re-sold it on here, you could likely make a bit on the sale.

'91 'Sport Sedan'

- 5-speed (rarer than AT)

- oil cooler (only year)

- rear VLSD diff (only year - although w/those miles the VLSD may be dead).

If not rusty, it's definitely worth a restore. But may need clutch, HG, + all the neglected other maintenance items. And you may have headaches if the electronics for the windows, locks, sunroof, etc. are non-functional. Common for the sunroof to leak too, but easy to seal.

The inside plastics may be hard to find but should be avl. from any model '90-'94 wagon or sedan. The external body parts are unique to the 'pre-facelift' '90-'91 models.

You'd need to read up on doing the engine swap - more to it than just dropping in the engine...but really not an upgrade, unless you run aftermarket EM to turn up the boost.