LegacyGT.com

Engine options for 2009 Outback XT

I’m sure this kind of thing has been asked before but I’m struggling finding any sort of solid information on the ‘08-‘09 XT.

I developed a rod knock on my ‘09 Outback XT and I’m looking for options of engines to swap in. At one point I found some information about the wiring harness for these years being different and making it difficult to swap in engines from different cars. I know all the EJ255 and EJ257 are all pretty similar, but what are the major issues or electrical problems I would have if I used an engine from a WRX or STI?

Again, I’m sure this question has been beaten to death, so if someone could at least point me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

You need to order a new ej257 short block from Subaru and engine gasket set for your year car.

Have your heads rebuilt, install ARP heads studs, reinstall all your external items. Intake, exhaust, etc.

See my click here link in my sig.

read the stickys above, read some of the other threads, here. This is easy if your have a plan.

Let us know if you have more questions.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don’t have the time to do this job myself as I would like to, and I need to get it done relatively quickly as it’s my daily driver. My shop quoted me about $9500 to rebuild the engine with a new short block. While I know it’s a gamble putting in a used engine, I want to see what options I have in terms of dropping in an engine from a different car vs rebuilding.

These engine are not cheap in the junkyards, that's why we say get a new ej257 and gasket set, that's about $2200.

You should get a couple estimates if you can.

Just so you know I have put over 140,000 trouble free miles on my ej257 since I dropped it in May 2012.

You need to decide if the body's in good shape, bit the bullet and pay the man...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You need to order a new ej257 short block from Subaru and engine gasket set for your year car.

Have your heads rebuilt, install ARP heads studs, reinstall all your external items. Intake, exhaust, etc.

See my click here link in my sig.

read the stickys above, read some of the other threads, here. This is easy if your have a plan.

Let us know if you have more questions.

This is really the best option unless you found a salvaged complete decent mileage EJ255 from a 07-09 OBXT/LGT that you could literally pull and right in.

If the rest of the car is in good shape and you arent ready to move on, you could spend anywhere from $2K to $6K(depends on level of DIY, labor and parts)

• 2 months later...

Um, auxiliary air pump (smog pump) and smaller combustion chamber heads, for one (D25 or later). Not that these things make it impossible to swap over, but they add complications if you are looking at a pre-2007 engine, or an STI EJ257 donor engine. It looks like the changeover was 2006/2007 in the Outback XT.

I’m sure this kind of thing has been asked before but I’m struggling finding any sort of solid information on the ‘08-‘09 XT.

I developed a rod knock on my ‘09 Outback XT and I’m looking for options of engines to swap in. At one point I found some information about the wiring harness for these years being different and making it difficult to swap in engines from different cars. I know all the EJ255 and EJ257 are all pretty similar, but what are the major issues or electrical problems I would have if I used an engine from a WRX or STI?

Again, I’m sure this question has been beaten to death, so if someone could at least point me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

Edited by birkhoff
autocorrect