LegacyGT.com

Won't reach operating temperature after timing belt/water pump/thermostat

Howdy!

So yesterday I did the running belt on my wife's 2005 LGT, along with the water pump and an OEM thermostat. I used a Gate's running belt kit and an OEM thermostat and new gasket, both purchased separately. After I buttoned it all up and tried burping it, I noticed it wouldn't hit operating temp.

So I figured the thermostat was bad, and today I swapped in the old thermostat with the new gasket from the Gate's kit, but I'm still not hitting operating temperature.

It's worth noting that I dropped the new thermostat onto the ground, by accident, before I installed it. I had also taken the car for a short drive after installing that thermostat, and still didn't hit operating temp.

I can't claim that I did everything correctly, obviously. Nothing is leaking outside of the car, though, haha. What do you think I may have done wrong or missed?

Thanks,

Matthew

You can often test a thermostat in a pot of water heated to near boiling, depending on your altitude (affects the boiling point of water) and the temperature at which the thermostat is set to open. Of course you need to stay aware that coolant is poisonous and not use the same pot you cook with if the thermostat has been in contact with coolant.

I learned this because I had a similar problem on my Audi, but after extensive troubleshooting including changing out for the old water pump and thermostat like you did, my problem turned out to be that I had a sensor connected backwards. That doesn't sound like it could apply to your case.