LegacyGT.com

94 legacy 2.2 won't start!?!

Sorry if this is already answered...

I have a 94 legacy owned for 8 years never really drove much. It was common to let sit for 2 years or more. It has consistently always started first crank. I moved it a year and half ago. Fired right up after jump start. I now need to use it. Had a dead battery I replaced batt. And fuel filter. It cranks over has good fuel pressure. Will try to start first few cranks then gets worse. It turns over and will occasionally backfire if I try to start it too many times. Check plugs they look ok. Bypassed stock fuel filter with clear in line one. Fuel looks clean. The tank was empty when parked has quarter tank of fresh gas. I can not get this thing to start. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. I don't want to throw parts at it.my next step would be new injectors but seeking any advice before pouring more money into this thing.

When it last ran it ran smooth no issues. Plugs along with plug wires and Coil were replaced years ago but only drove 100 miles before parking it again

It could be a number of things but I'm leaning towards the fuel system. Even if there wasn't much fuel in it when stored, that could be enough to not run right. Fuel goes bad in like 6 months and starts to varnish. So the pump or injectors could be gummed up or you just didn't dilute the old stuff in the tank enough to burn off the trash gas. Either way I would maybe try to pull the fuel lines off the firewall and divert them to a jerry can and use a cheap electric pump to see if you can get it to run off only good fuel. Be sure to remove the fuel pump relay when you do this too.

Thank you brighton96 as I said the fuel is clean and clear. It's acting flooded. My best results for starting is when gas peddle is mashed to the floor. I'm leaning towards injectors. I checked fuel pressure. I get almost 10 psi with key on and 30 when cranking. Spark might be an issue I don't have a spark tester. But judging by the look of the plugs I don't think so. I was more curious about a sensor being bad. No codes to pull because battery has been dead since it last ran

You could have various electrical connections corroded from sitting, especially grounds. But it sounds like there was crud in the fuel system and the injectors are gummed up and likely dribbling if your flooded thing is correct.

Letting a car sit for a year is worse for it than driving it like it's stolen for that whole year. There will be many things to fix as a result. Brake hoses, calipers and drums may have seized, coolant and hoses, water pump, tires, wheel bearing seals and possibly the bearings, other oil seals, electrical connectors and wires especially if you live on Earth where there could be rodents chewing on things.

I would prop the throttle open over night to air it out and then put the key to run without starting and leave it there for several minutes and see if it stinks of fuel at the throttle from an injector constantly shooting gas into the intake. If it has that you may have to pull the plugs to prevent hydrolock. You need to change the oil before you run it anyway, so the gas in the oil from this won't matter since you'll change it anyway.

thank you for the advise. Yes I know there's more things to check because it's sitting. I need to get it started to move it closer to the house to fix pass. Rear brake It's locked up. I live in alaska... Just trying to see if there's any other opinions out there before dropping another 100 bucks on injectors that may or might not be the answer. I would pull the injectors to look at them but I don't have o rings to put it bake together if one gets damaged

Hm, it's getting to the chilly time of year up there. Not so much fun for working on cars unless you are in a heated garage.

I have a spare set of fuel rails etc for the purpose of testing injectors on mine, but pulling so many things apart and setting up for the test is enough work that I haven't done it. Plus the work, as you point out, the o-rings are a risk of pulling things apart for test.