LegacyGT.com

Way to check for odometer rollback?

derache123

Looking at a local 06 LGT, it has 103k on the odometer but there appears to be an odometer inconsistency on the Carfax report (but nothing reported to the DMV). Is there a physical way to check if the odometer has been rolled back, or gauge cluster replaced, or something like that?

Hmm, what's the inconsistency? I think I saw this car on CL.

I don't think there's much of a physical way to really tell. However, if the cluster has been replaced I would recommend looking around the cluster area to see if anything looks loose, damaged, etc. (as if someone had pulled something out then put it back).

Thanks, will check for those things when I go see the car in person. Basically the Carfax report has service records until ~110k for the first owner, but the smog check record for when the 2nd (current) owner bought it is at 84k. I'm suspecting the first owner replaced the cluster before selling to the current owner, and did not report to DMV, which means it would currently be at ~130k and not 103k. Honestly I'm not super concerned but would be good to know.