LegacyGT.com

Brake cooling mods

What have you guys done?

I've been thinking of how to get air in the wheel wells to direct towards the brakes. Then it hit me that we already have a cold air supply to the wheel wells from the factory lol!

xcdlvne.jpg

This is what it looks like when the car is on the ground:

lcWObmK.jpg

From inside the wheel well:

yXSqxLP.jpg

I think that covers the air supply, it just needs to be routed to the brakes more efficiently. Maybe air deflectors like Porsche puts on the control arms? The Subaru front axles and swaybar location complicates things though.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQWCQr7dtS1yU5UVxNZhoYBKEYW8zpK4WkSUw&usqp=CAU

Boomba also makes a similar part for Subarus:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQrf2VZDyNoDri9y51vZirOxdoF38WmhRB3zg&usqp=CAU

And I see Rooducts were designed to work with this, not sure how if they fit 5th gens though.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQlfstWxS0bpqi8rd-K8iWMxw4tBtLrHbS49Q&usqp=CAU

Edited by Scubaboo

I've always thought about cutting out the areas between the criss-crosses in the fog light bezels to make it look like a big mesh, then 3D printing an adapter that mates to the back and adapts it to a hose for the front.

Once I got better pads I didn't have fade problems on the street anymore, so I never went any farther than that.

I messaged Randy over at Rooducts. Great guy, very patient going over the details with me. He even went to a friend's shop just to look at a fifth gen for this.

Bad news, initially it looks like his ducts are a no go. He says the fifth gen specific cradle/subframe looks to be in the way.

He is recommending control arm ducts, but I'm wondering how it will hold up on a daily.

Guys, away from the car at the moment, have a question regarding the coverage of the brake rotor backing plate.

The backing plate has the slots going around it in a circular pattern till it reaches the caliper bracket, where the plate has a big cut out for the caliper bracket and caliper.

rpXGNRC.jpg

Those slots are there to feed air to the center of the rotor for the vanes?

If so, that cut out for the bracket also exposes the center rotor?

So in the picture below, the gap you can see between the caliper and the bracket goes to the center of the rotor?

epO0Vw5.jpg