LegacyGT.com

Vf52 swap - what pill to use? Os or AP

Hey all, I’m doing a VF52 swap. Can I use the one on the vf40? How about the vf52? Or do I absolutely need the 1mm one?

What are the ramifications of each one? Any DIY solutions?

Just getting my ducks in a row before I start throwing things back together

Fwiw: 2005 legacy GT with 257 block, catless uppipe, High flow dp, 3in catback, Cobb intake, stock fueling (I’m poor and can’t get bigger injectors or pump yet). running an E tune currently and getting a street tune when everything’s all put together.

You guys recommend OS or AP?

The OEM one from the 46 / 40 or a an EBCS.

I went OS and never had any complaints. I think that more and more tuners are going AP only.

I would reach out to your tuner with your mods and aask what they recommend.

With a e-tune, you really want to make it easy for the tuner.

OS is fine if you can convince the Tuner you know what your talking about.

Tuners seem to have learned that most who want to save money by going OS, don't know how to use the software. The Tuner has to spend his time teaching the customer how to use the system. When the Tuner needs to be paid for there time, spent teaching, the customer gets upset.

If the Tuner charged you up front for all the time he spends teaching the customer, chances are there would be very few customers.

I'm no Tuner but that is the impression I get from knowing one of the best. I'm not speaking for him, but I hope you can understand.

When I go for a street tune with my Tuner, I'm amazed at everything he does in a short time. When you see the amount of data, you will understand.

Both my cars have Cobb AP. I'm not very good with computers. Even plugging in the AP makes me nervous.

I'm so happy I live close to one of the best.

Where do you live ? We can recommend one of the two best Tuners for you.

Well here, for east coast members I use "tuningalliance@gmail.com" He has been tuning these cars since he worked at a Dyno back in 2004 when his brother had one of these cars and he spent hours with it on the dyno.

If your near the west coast, this is who you want to use. https://www.cryotuneperformance.com/ I have never used Dave's services but many on here have.

If you chose one of them, you can tell them I sent you.

My wagon has been on Cobb AP since it first came out back in Dec 2004, I met my Tuner in 2008 I think it was. I still had Cobb AP V1, we stopped at a auto parts store, he went in and picked up a wire splice, stuck the splice in a piece of vacuum hose, replaced the stock "pill" and we went for a street tune. The car felt great. I upgraded to V2 and V3 of the Cobb AP.

Both my cars get better mpg and have more power then stock.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here