LegacyGT.com

79k mile 06 LGT - Should the timing belt be replaced?

derache123

Hey all,

Currently looking at picking up a very low mileage 06 LGT, only 79k miles, 1 owner. It still has a while to go in terms of mileage before the 105k mile service (timing belt, etc), but given the car is now 14 years old, is the service overdue anyway? Would it be safe to keep driving on the original timing belt until 105k?

Banjo filters also have not been removed IIRC - is it a big deal if I don't remove them right away?

Thanks

The timing belt is 10 years or mileage. My 09 with 93,000 miles had it's belt replaced 2 years ago.

Interference fit engine... better safe then sorry.

The rear banjo filter should be removed. Keep the oil hot, don't just do short drives in the car. Those of us with high mileage or only drive for long distance have many fewer issues.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not to hijack but.....how much disassembly is involved to see if a belt has been replaced. I know it's hard to tell once something has been ran but if I see a Gates belt I should be good right? My 09 has 73k and was purchased from a local Subaru dealership with one owner history. They couldn't tell me if the belt and associated parts had been replaced.....it was like asking a HIPPA question for crying out loud.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

You should be able to pull the two end covers in a few minutes to check the belt.

See the DIY in the forum below. Lot's of pictures there.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/timing-belt-replacement-2-5t-106809.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

As an update, the prepurchase inspection found a number of mechanical issues (biggest one being needing a new intercooler) that would add up to probably $3k or more to address, so looks like this car is not the one. Disappointing since it's a Spec B too (#155), oh well.

Timing belt turned out to be in good shape though, lol.

3k to change an intercooler?? It takes 5-10mn to remove/replace. You can probably find one for cheap.

A full inspection of the timing belt components would require you to remove the crank pulley so you can inspect the timing belt pulleys and especially the timing belt tensioner. You want to make sure it is not leaking.