LegacyGT.com

My car farts?

I don't even know how to describe this but my 2016 3.6R has started making an odd noise. It's very subdued, low in frequency, very short in duration, happens at random times, and rarely happens at all. Once or twice a week, usually once in any given day. Today, however, it happened twice.

But then it'll go a week and not do it.

The sound is so odd it's easy to blame on road conditions and so short you wonder if you are hearing things. But I've heard it on a variety of roads and different surfaces so I've discounted road conditions.

So far I haven't been able to find a pattern of any kind that leads up to the noise but I've noticed the noise only occurs at highway speeds, never at city speeds.

The last time I observed a noise similar to this was with my last car. That car had an engine light on, made a low frequency, short duration reverberation type noise, and was nearly impossible to add fuel to the tank. Two visits to the dealer didn't solve the issue but my own code reader and Google did. The car's charcoal canister was damaged or plugged up in some way and a vacuum valve on the unit had failed. A sensor on the valve is what set the code.

The car would make a very similar noise as my Subaru is at random times and as said, would not take fuel. My Google diagnostics led me to order a complete new canister which when installed cured the code, noise, and fueling problems all in one fell swoop.

Before I try to convey all this to the service department (at which point I'm sure to get blank stares) has anyone experienced anything similar and found a cause?

It sounds like you DID find the cause, so...thanks for the heads up in case it happens to one of us.

In all honestly, though, your thread seems more to point out that your dealer's service department is inept and not able to follow through with correct trouble-shooting an obvious DTC code than anything else. Good on you for figuring out it.

I wouldn't waste any time going to the dealer, unless you bought the part from them and can somehow prove that it was the correct fix. This would NOT be worth the headache for me.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I don't even know how to describe this but my 2016 3.6R has started making an odd noise. It's very subdued, low in frequency, very short in duration, happens at random times, and rarely happens at all. Once or twice a week, usually once in any given day. Today, however, it happened twice.

My Google diagnostics led me to order a complete new canister which when installed cured the code, noise, and fueling problems all in one fell swoop.

Before I try to convey all this to the service department (at which point I'm sure to get blank stares) has anyone experienced anything similar and found a cause?

Hi Shooter, I was a little worried when I saw the title of your post ... I thought you might have been experiencing some odd Covid symptoms ... so I was relieved when I saw that you were merely only referring to your car, and not to yourself personally. :lol:

Here is some info that maybe everyone here knows ... but I think it's still worth considering.

It sounds like you DID find the cause, so...thanks for the heads up in case it happens to one of us.

In all honestly, though, your thread seems more to point out that your dealer's service department is inept and not able to follow through with correct trouble-shooting an obvious DTC code than anything else. Good on you for figuring out it.

I wouldn't waste any time going to the dealer, unless you bought the part from them and can somehow prove that it was the correct fix. This would NOT be worth the headache for me.

I wasn't clear in my post so please accept my apologies. The experience with the dealer that was unable to diagnose the issue with my car was a Toyota dealer and my car was a 2001 Solara.

Still, I have little faith that my current Subaru dealer will be able to figure out my currently flatulent Legacy.

The noise has morphed into a somewhat squeaky little gremlin now. It still has the same short and low rumble but now it's followed by a squeak or squawk. It's kind of amusing when it happens but a little unnerving at the same time.

The video posted above only confirms the problem I found with my old Toyota and because of that experience I abandoned the practice of topping off my tank long ago. My current Legacy has never had the tank topped off and I've owned it since it had 8 miles on the ticker. The dealer filled it up before delivery so they may have topped it, only God knows.

I'm eventually going to find and inspect the charcoal canister just to see what I'm dealing with and if the problem gets worse I may simply replace it.

The jury is still out on whether or not I should let the dealer take a crack at the issue.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Will update.

Edited by hkshooter

• 2 months later...

This issue is persisting. Now the sound has changed to a grunt followed by a squeak but it's still there and still random. Talked to my dealer's service dept about it but haven't turned the car over to them yet. The anomaly still only occurs randomly and I have no engine or warning lights.

I'm open to input if others have had experiences or have advice to share.

At 147k right now.