LegacyGT.com

2016 3.6r Subaru Legacy CVT tranny swapped with 6 speed tranny?

jdplsoccer2

It's an idea want to see if possible. Couldn't find any threads on this but is it possible to swap the legacy CVT transmission with a 6 speed transmission? This could be from an Outback or Forester not sure but CVT sucks. Wrx and Sti can't have all the fun. Time to bring the Legacy to light [emoji41].

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

It can be done with money. The canbus system is reliant on a bunch of corresponding signals based on the settings selected within the BIU and ECM. When the car is initialized by PDI at a Subaru dealership, you have to select what options the car has.

Some of these options:

LHD/RHD

AT/MT

5EAT/6MT/CVT

1.8/2.0/2.5/3.6

AWD/RWD

Everything is all theory for these newest cars so I do not know if you can access the BIU settings from an SSM3 after it has been set once, though I'm sure I will find out the hard way. However, there is a 5th gen LGT that has successfully done an STI 6 speed swap and he found a way to program the system so it doesn't throw codes.

The 6 speed swap could entail changing harnesses, modules, mounts, axles and a matching rear diff.

If you decide you are up for this swap, I highly suggest reading into how the canbus system works and figure out what signals it needs, also refrain from using the N/A 6 speeds as they are just as fragile as a 5MT and with an EZ36 under your hood, you will eat N/A 6 speeds, which leaves you with only the STI 6MT.

But be warned, STI trans can go over $3000 without a rear diff, and you'll have to figure out how to use the DCCD system.