LegacyGT.com

swap door handles - help

GearJamr

I picked up an 07 spec.b interior and it's in great shape, save for some rips in the rear passenger door card, specifically on the door handle/arm rest, as in the pics....

20201018_112738.thumb.jpg.1563dd500694bd0675bef30000ac9151.jpg

20201018_112747.thumb.jpg.995739a24b28cc7f5031d6ee268536e1.jpg

I would like to remove the blue section and transfer it to my current door card which isn't ripped. I flipped the door insert over to see how it was connected, and it seems to be plastic rivets, as seen here:

20201018_112800.thumb.jpg.e239a4f422b5e908c56ac849d9386dcc.jpg

20201018_112808.thumb.jpg.0edb57ff15f080df03c732fd8d5e592b.jpg

I think I could just drill out these plastic rivets, and remove the blue piece and then rivet them back in to the other door card. Has anyone attempted this before? I imagine I could take it to a car upholstery shop but seems like something a DIYer could do, just wondering if anyone has done this and found any pitfalls to avoid.

TIA

Hi,

I did it before several times with my previous car.

I used heat gun to gently soften the melted plastic around the clips and it just pops out.

If you do it - then the height of plastic is enough to re-apply it again. Usually it has enough plastic left to soften it up again.

You can also use big size drill (also gently, with electric screwdriver) to remove melted surroundings and keep central guide pin safe.

To apply back - you have to unite these guides to the holes, heat a little that center guide pin and use short screws with big hat (or add bigger wide washers in between) to tighten it up.

Hi,

I did it before several times with my previous car.

I used heat gun to gently soften the melted plastic around the clips and it just pops out.

If you do it - then the height of plastic is enough to re-apply it again. Usually it has enough plastic left to soften it up again.

You can also use big size drill (also gently, with electric screwdriver) to remove melted surroundings and keep central guide pin safe.

To apply back - you have to unite these guides to the holes, heat a little that center guide pin and use short screws with big hat (or add bigger wide washers in between) to tighten it up.

Shoot, didn't think of using a heat gun. I drilled them out of the 07 door card tonight. :( Going to use rivets to re-attach after the swap. I will try the heat gun method on my 05 door card to remove the middle section - just going to swap the fabric insert into my current 05 door card as it is in good shape.