LegacyGT.com

4EAT auto trans issues - 1995 Legacy

Hello! I have a 1995 Subaru Legacy Postal with some automatic transmission issues. I haven’t posted here in a long time. Just recently got another Subaru that I wanted to work on. The car ran and drive fine for first 2 weeks (had been sitting for a long time) I cleaned the IACV and it sat for about 1 week. After putting it back together and going for a test drive, I heard a buzzing/supercharger like whine from the engine / transmission. Appears to be coming from around the starter. Didn’t think much of it until I tried to drive it again and the whining was worse and the the transmission started to slip and not engage in gear anymore.

The car goes into gear just fine when cold, but as it heats up, the buzzing gets worse, and then buzzes inconsistently (transmission is slipping while this is happening) and when the buzz is gone after it warms up/drive, the gears won’t engage at all. After my research, the noise appears to be a solenoid I think (mainly experience with manuals). I’m assuming that the transmission isn’t able to build up enough pressure once it’s warm which is causing the unreliable gear engagement. I did try to do a quick fluid change (just what was in the pan) but it did not fix the issue. The fluid on the dipstick also smells like gear oil mixed with ATF so that maybe an issue that led to this more catastrophic failure as well.

Linked is a YouTube video with me showing what is happening in the car:

Question is:

1. Do you know what’s wrong?

2. Is it easily fixable? I don’t mind dropping the pan and potentially changing a solenoid or potentially a valve body.

3. Is the transmission gone? My speedometer gear is stripped, and this is seeming like a good excuse for me to get another trans. Only reason I’m skeptical about changing the whole trans out is because I only have a gravel driveway and no garage. So maneuver and trans /engine jack would be a nightmare, not to mention finding lost bolts in the gravel, etc.

I haven’t had a project car in a while and I thought I wanted to work on cars again, but this thing is testing my patience. I don’t have too much experience with Subaru’s or automatic Transmissions. Almost tempted to cut my losses and sell it.

I formatted this on my phone so please forgive spelling errors, or if I used the wrong terminology when explaining the issue and my deduction.

In my experience when an auto trans starts to act weird the thing that will kill it super fast is driving on it at all other than to get to the shoulder and wait for a hook.

I only have gravel to work on as well. For my engine and trans swaps I put down two or three sheets of 3/4 plywood to roll around the engine crane and such. I would prefer a garage with a lift, but it works fine until you've dumped a good supply of oil on it. Then it's gross and difficult to clean.

Hi,

When you 1st turn on the car or the key, does the AT Temp light flash 16 times? That's telling you there's code in the TCM/ TCU / Trans computer.

The 16 flashes are not a specific code. Read THIS to get them:

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/77670-tcu-secret-handshake-need-ifo/

That buzzing sound could be related to the flex-plate (AT version of FW- sorta) and/or starter?

I'd go buy the cheap DexIII ATF and do the Drain>Refill>Drive - all gears>Repeat 3 times. Esp. if you think someone dumped diff oil. As you noticed the diff oil dipstick/fill hole is on the passenger side.

Also, when you state the speedo gear is stripped out - exactly where? That'll cause issues as a faulty speedo should be giving you a CEL? Does it? Does the CEL work? :-)

Common issue is the 'tip' of the speedo gear to break. Your '95 may be mechanical as I know sometime around that year or later they went to the electronic signal, but IIRC you can still replace just that end piece???:

39dc8e_3f83699ad07145bd85102d09b48d8e91~mv2.jpg

Here's good link:

https://www.iwireservices.com/post/2018/03/21/subaru-vehicle-speed-sensor-types

GL,

TD