LegacyGT.com

New member, new car on the way. Tuned by STI

MDMA

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
As a JDM only model, you've no chance. Only way is to build one.

not true. you can import JDM TBSTI to the US. BUT you will get a "for show only" title and pay through the nose at customs. You can only trailer it. If you get caught driving it on the road, bye-bye and a huge fine. Best thing to do is store the JDMs in canada until the 21 year rule is up. That's what I do.

Frankly, RHD are a pain in the US. Seems cool, but when everything is setup for LHD, RHD sit in storage more than you think. It's cheaper to move to JPN and buy one then to build one here. I know.

not true. you can import JDM TBSTI to the US. BUT you will get a "for show only" title and pay through the nose at customs. You can only trailer it. If you get caught driving it on the road, bye-bye and a huge fine. Best thing to do is store the JDMs in canada until the 21 year rule is up. That's what I do.

Frankly, RHD are a pain in the US. Seems cool, but when everything is setup for LHD, RHD sit in storage more than you think. It's cheaper to move to JPN and buy one then to build one here. I know.

I meant no chance of a LHD model TbSTI as they were RHD only.

• 2 weeks later...
I meant no chance of a LHD model TbSTI as they were RHD only.

I am in the middle of requesting Subaru of Japan to issue a letter stating that the vehicle is 'substantially similiar' and submit a petition to the NHSTA. I believe the someone already did the legwork for the Forester for the same years, as it was on the approved list.

For what it's worth I already received a verbal approval.

• 1 month later...
Hi, I had a 1999 legacy gt and am now looking to buy a subaru exiga sti the only worry I have is the Japanese satnav and information centre. In the videos I have watched the system communicates in Japanese. Question: can this be converted to English?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
That’s too bad to hear but I get it. Most of mine should probably be sold but I can’t do that, lol. Please share pictures of the new car once you get it, be interested to see one of those!

Will do. Just waiting for the right one to become available. Not many were made for the UK, so it’s just a case of sitting tight and be ready to move when one pops up.

F15-C23-DF-268-A-4875-BCBB-94-A6-E1728188.jpg