LegacyGT.com

Upgraded Brakes Compatibility

Hi All,

Brakes are something I am not sure keen on. I just ordered a set of front Wilwood big brakes (140-12875-D) which, according to Rally Sport Direct, should fit the Legacy GT. I will know once they ship I suppose.

I want a matching set for the rear. The only part I find listed fits the 2002-2005 WRX. Is this compatible with the legacy rear hubs/spindle, ect?

Thanks all!

Look up the correct aftermarket/rebuilt calipers and see if they are the same part number.

I do know, back in May 2006 I had to get rear brake pads for a 2.5RS because auto parts stores didn't have pads for a 2005 GT yet.

So may be they will fit.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don't have the answer to your question, but I do know some versions of STi rear brembos fit. Maybe find out which year range that is, and if there's a matching Wilwood rear set up for that STi year range? If a stock STi part can work on the legacy, there's an outside chance an aftermarket part would also fit the legacy. Assuming there's no special adaptors for the aftermarket piece, that may throw a wrench in things.

If a stock STi part can work on the legacy, there's an outside chance an aftermarket part would also fit the legacy. Assuming there's no special adaptors for the aftermarket piece, that may throw a wrench in things.

04-07 STI rear brakes; these DO require special adapters. You could potentially get the 04 STI kit (Need 5x100 rotors) and buy the adapters to make it work; but I think there's more potential seeing if an WRX kit works. Don't remember off hand, but the guys at Fastwrx.com would know. Or KNS brakes.

• 3 weeks later...

Incase anyone else is looking to do this, the Wilwood brake it fits VERY good.

2008+ WRX wilwood kit with the 2002-2005 WRX rear brakes, no major modifications needed, just needed to bend the rear brake lines a little for a better angle.

Part Numbers:

Front: 140-12875-D

Rear: 140-12878-D

Install time: 6 hours with 2 guys and a lift (3 hours of that was figuring out the spacing and clearance, so follow this to get a good starting point)

Remove all the brake dust shields on all rotors. I simply cut mine off. If you dont, the rotor WILL rub on them as they are too large.

When installing the front, use the black spacers and about 5 washers (thats what worked for me) to gain clearance from the caliper to the rotor, and about 4 washers to space the bracket from the knuckle.

For the rears, I did not need any spacers, but you will likely need to bend the factory brake line slightly to make it easier for the new brake lines to reach. Took about 30 seconds to do, just dont kink them.

Edited by Warlock

After installation thoughts:

OH MY GOD does this thing stop on a dime! I was nto ready for it the first time i pressed the brakes. Superior to even the Brembos I had on my previous legacy (sti swap) in my opinion. These bite so much harder! Haven't even installed the master cylinder brace yet, which will improve the feel of the pedal even more.

• 1 year later...
On 10/8/2020 at 10:44 AM, Mr-C said:

Sexy !!

I imagine you're running a big set up or this is a track car to justify this?

Sorry i dissappeared for a while off the forum. Yes it is a track car. Just got back from a Palmer motorsports track day in Palmer Massachusetts.