LegacyGT.com

Question(s) about motor swap

Hello all,

I am back yet again because I am in a bit of a pickle.

So here it goes:

Back in 2018 I bought a 05 LGT. Couple months after the head gasket went. I was tight on cash as almost everything I saved went into buying the car. I only had enough to get the long block replaced with an EJ20X. I went ahead and did it. (It still is my only car and my only means of transportation).

I took it to the shop and got it replaced. I was then told to get it tuned (it was expensive so I put a hold on it for a while) since it has a 2.5 map and will most likely run rich if I do not put a 2.0 map on it so I did. Up until a few months ago it was running fine, then one day...spun the bearing. I purchased a rebuilt EJ255 motor now and going to get it replaced once it comes in.

For those who have just swapped the longblock over, did you keep the USDM EJ255 wiring harness and ECU? I ask just so I know if I need to get a new harness to make the EJ255 work properly.

Thank you in advance and please no rude comments. I am learning from my mistakes which is why I did not buy another EJ20X.

Your car came from the factory with an ej255 and harness, and even with a tune for that motor in fact.

Correct, so it originally had the ej255. Head gasket went, got an ej20x long block installed. Now I want to go back to ej255 (motor I got has been rebuilt) and wanted to know if I need to change my ECU and harness since the long block is out of a 2.0?

Thanks.

I'm confused.

When you had the EJ20x installed, was any of the wiring/ecu changed?

If not, then you should be fine as you are going back to what you had.

If so, then you would likely need to reverse whatever was done for the EJ20x.

Was able to finally talk to the shop, they only changed the head and block. The ECU, harness, manifolds, etc are from the ej25. I will be fine to swap an ej25 back in...thanks everyone!

not sure how any of us would have known what your shop did for your last engine swap, but glad you figured it out.

I only ask because I believe some owners here have slapped on an ej20x block and head, and wanted to know if they replaced the ECU/harness...just glad I got it all figured out. Should be a straight drop in without a hiccup...hopefully.

As mentioned above (I just swapped an JDM EJ20X into my 2005 Baja using the Baja ECU & harness - planning on a tune next week) since they KEPT your USDM ECU & harness - you should be fine (and since you didn’t get a tune - no need to retune #smallblessings). Sorry swap didn’t work out #hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned above (I just swapped an JDM EJ20X into my 2005 Baja using the Baja ECU & harness - planning on a tune next week) since they KEPT your USDM ECU & harness - you should be fine (and since you didn’t get a tune - no need to retune #smallblessings). Sorry swap didn’t work out #hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad your swap went better than mine! I did actually get it tuned, but I ordered a COBB AP (so it will remove the tune) and found a tuner who will send me an e-tune so I can drive my car home and use it for a little while. Going to send him data logs every few days until it is all good to go, then I will save up to get a pro-tune.