LegacyGT.com

1997 Legacy Outback I bought yesterday

q8fifOJ

177,000 miles, AC not working, for fluids i need to flush radiator/coolant tank... the reservoir is dirty and looks empty but the radiator has darker coolant in it, oil change, bleed the brakes and fill, power steering fluid is good, ATF looks ok maybe a little high, windshield washer fluid is good but it won't spray, might need new pads/rotors because the brake pedal pulses and pushes pretty far down, front bumper hit a small tree, need to check for hose/radiator leak because of coolant tank being empty. Tires are good, interior is good, everything electric works good, no knocks or noises other than at about 3,000 RPM under heavy pedal it whistles so there might be a leak in an exhaust flange gasket... The head gasket and timing belt were changed about 15,000 miles ago.. decent service records dating back about 8 years... I'm excited to fix her up and put many more miles on her, possibly turn her into a battlewagon

• 3 weeks later...
q8fifOJ

177,000 miles, AC not working, for fluids i need to flush radiator/coolant tank... the reservoir is dirty and looks empty but the radiator has darker coolant in it, oil change, bleed the brakes and fill, power steering fluid is good, ATF looks ok maybe a little high, windshield washer fluid is good but it won't spray, might need new pads/rotors because the brake pedal pulses and pushes pretty far down, front bumper hit a small tree, need to check for hose/radiator leak because of coolant tank being empty. Tires are good, interior is good, everything electric works good, no knocks or noises other than at about 3,000 RPM under heavy pedal it whistles so there might be a leak in an exhaust flange gasket... The head gasket and timing belt were changed about 15,000 miles ago.. decent service records dating back about 8 years... I'm excited to fix her up and put many more miles on her, possibly turn her into a battlewagon

These cars are absolute beasts. I have a 96 legacy outback wagon and when I got it, it had a lot of missing or mismatched parts under the hood.

It had no AC at all, but I did find a complete AC system in a junkyard one time. Just bought a new set of o-rings from O’Reilly auto parts and it’s ran solid for two hot & humid summers in a row now.

The radiator came out of an Impreza, so I found one out of a junkyard and it’s ran perfectly ever since. She’s due for some new hoses soon.

Had a problem with fluid not making it onto the glass, so I replaced the little motors that the wiper fluid hoses attach to on the reservoir from out of a junkyard and they stream just fine.

Mushy brake pedal? Could have air in the brake lines.

Exhaust work on this thing is exhausting, but fairly easy to diagnose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk