LegacyGT.com

Jay's '05 OBXTi Build

Picking up my 9th subaru but first Legacy platform today! Pretty stoked as I feel I got a killer deal considering what all it has done to it for $4,500.

It has 223k on it and has been owned by a tech for the last 5 years. Timing belt, water pump, have all been done recently. Tires only have about 10k on them as well. Also it got fresh rotors and pads a few months back when the transmission had a tiny bit of work done to it ...

I plan on getting as much life out of this engine as I can. Eventually it will be dropping in the brand new built ej255 long block I've been sitting on, larger turbo, ect. For now I'm going to concentrate on suspension, exterior, and interior mods.

Current Mods:

Cobb AP V3 running stage 2 tune

Grimmspeed uppipe

Aftermarket header and downpipe (eBay? To be determined)

Cobb intake and box

Big aluminum radiator

Grimmspeed Manuel boost controller

'05 STi 6 speed transmission and diff

Custom rear axles

Custom solid one piece drive shaft

Brembo brakes

Work db9 wheels 18x10

Continental Extreme contact dws tires

Screenshot-20200823-084734-2.jpg

Screenshot-20200823-084754-2.jpg

IMG-20200822-194627.jpg

received-783376995763778.jpg

Edited by WTFJayJay

Finally got around to uploading a few pictures.

I haven't driven anything but n/a Subarus in the last few years... It's an absolute blast to drive and I already know im going to get in trouble. Hopefully the grandma color will help.

The guy I picked it up from was the real deal too. He went over every little quirk the car has with me and ive got all his maintenance records since he's owned it.

• 2 months later...
Hey man, that's a helluva get! Whats the offset on those rims? I have 2 OBXTs and I love em!

Miguel

Ha I've been wondering that myself 🤣. They have spacers as they are 114.3 as well. I'll be doing some work on the brakes soon and I'll find out then.

Nice ride, did you buy it with all those parts on it?? Screamin deal even tho the chassis mileage is up there.

Yup the previous owner did everything! As soon as I saw it had a 6 speed and brembos for that price I knew I had to go check it out!

A bit a an update. Good and bad .

I managed to snag a sponcership and have a wide body kit from Fenderist in the mail as we speak! So I'll be finding out that wheel offset sooner than later as I might have to go even wider with the wheels

I also snagged a pair of brand new black suede Sparco Milano 2 seats, sliders, and harnesses. A guy had bought them years ago for a build and never installed them. Managed to pick everything up for les than one seat cost new.

The bad news.... On the drive back my turbo blew.. Not a clue what happend just yet. The engine seemed to still run fine. I stopped a few times and checked. Then I got home and popped the hood again and my dipstick had popped out and sprayed oil everywhere... I'll be tearing into it this weekend. If all goes well I've found a few vf52's locally. I hate to waist the money in it as I plan on going with an 18g on the new engine, but I don't have the funds currently to get it all finished up and tuned. That will be a project for early next year

A bit a an update. Good and bad .

I managed to snag a sponcership and have a wide body kit from Fenderist in the mail as we speak! So I'll be finding out that wheel offset sooner than later as I might have to go even wider with the wheels

I also snagged a pair of brand new black suede Sparco Milano 2 seats, sliders, and harnesses. A guy had bought them years ago for a build and never installed them. Managed to pick everything up for les than one seat cost new.

The bad news.... On the drive back my turbo blew.. Not a clue what happend just yet. The engine seemed to still run fine. I stopped a few times and checked. Then I got home and popped the hood again and my dipstick had popped out and sprayed oil everywhere... I'll be tearing into it this weekend. If all goes well I've found a few vf52's locally. I hate to waist the money in it as I plan on going with an 18g on the new engine, but I don't have the funds currently to get it all finished up and tuned. That will be a project for early next year

Be sure to read the blown turbo thread. You'll have to flush the engine and replace all components that touch oil. If you're lucky, you may not have an engine that's toast.

Well turns out the hose where the turbos oil drains back into the engine was dry rotted and cracked to hell. So the turbo got starved. I'm very surprised I don't have knock! Installing a 16g as we speak. Crossing my fingers the engines good once I get everything buttoned up .

Also my rear brakes have been squeeling and I've been meaning to get all new pads and rotors. My parking brake does not work due to the STi sized rotors.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some DBA bembo adapter rotors that are made to fit brembo caliper but with a 170mm parking brake. They are advertised for the 5x100 wrx that are installing just the bembo rotors and keeping their factory hubs and parking brake.

So my question is what size is our parking brake? I figured It would be the same but my luck it would be different . Also if it makes a difference which I doubt this is for a 05 OBXT.

• 2 months later...