LegacyGT.com

Help for IAT's with the stock intake

I was thinking today as I was reinstalling the snorkel to the stock airbox.

Would there be any advantage to sealing the joint between the box and the snorkel? When it's installed there is a pretty decent gap, letting the box pull in engine compartment air.

I doubt it matters much at highway speed, but in traffic?

Just curious if anyone had sealed it up. Some foam tape around the snorkel end maybe.

Huh, hadnt noticed that gap. I do notice IAT rises pretty high and takes some time after moving to go down, based on some cursory monitoring.

It would be neat to see difference pre and post sealing if you happen to do it!

I bought a couple of dollar store sunshades, the type with the foil backed bubble wrap, and cut them up to wrap my entire stock air box and snorkel last year at about this time. I wasn't able to see any different in IAT.

So I say go for it if you want to , but don't spend much on materials because it'll probably have negligible results. Maybe you could use some weather stripping foam tape.

• 3 weeks later...

Unscientific but here is the results. It does seem to knock the IAT down a little bit.

I turned off the AC and let the car idle for several cycles of the cooling fans and waited until the IAT seemed to stop climbing. It was about 20 minutes of idling after the car warmed up. No other changes to the intake, other than i plugged the big hole about the snorkel as best as i could. Note the before I had run it ealier in the day. The after was after I drove it for about 15 minutes before letting it idle, but from a cold start. It's 2 different days but the outside temp and the time I did both of these was ~80 deg F

No idea if this would matter in actual driving.

before.thumb.jpg.e7f7aa1aff8f24324c21c38fe77dab46.jpg

fix.thumb.jpg.76debde8e7a0e6ac729a02b54fa16866.jpg

after.thumb.jpg.5d25ae20b524e68e421db19ca35ff686.jpg