LegacyGT.com

Back From the Dead Rebuild Thread

So first I wanted to mention that I updated a post on drivetrain that I reserved on the first page. I Reserved the post so I might as well use it right? I ended up getting a killer deal on an R180, details on the first page.

On to the current update.

1. I had ordered an airbag for the 2008+ wheel on ebay, that never cleared customs (coming from Canada) so that got cancelled and reordered. Arrival date, who the heck knows???

2. I ordered some Brembos from 541. They were pretty faded so I started to refinish them.

IMG_0369.thumb.jpg.8fdad9024d6194b356cd7fa0189206ac.jpg

I was going to get them powder coated but opted for the rattle can method this time. I got some high temp vinyl decals and sprayed clear over them to seal them in. We will see how they hold up once I start to put some miles on the car, which is still some time away.

IMG_0378.thumb.jpg.2edf74d93437673299c53f3a550ee468.jpg

IMG_0382.thumb.jpg.8bf51221a15a1dc058db3475ced8fe4e.jpg

Lastly, I got new pads, 2004 STI rotors and some new SS lines ready to go.

IMG_0370.thumb.jpg.9ee7e6bc86f8faa3cef41f19f1785254.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered the rear brembos from my personal heroes 541 Motorsport.

Those should be here in a few days. So those will also get the same treatment as the fronts since they are gold. Got the rear SS lines showing up today as well. Just need the mounting bracket to get these installed once and for all.

I snagged some new redline shifter and parking brake boots from a member here, that will get installed soon.

I got a new to me (used) tail light to replace the driver's side light that got cracked at some point while the car was in storage. My lights were tinted with film so I plan to apply new film to both lights. Ordered some knifeless tape to help with the reverse light cutout. I'll post some pics later. I'm going to try to make some led panels in the future using the cracked light as a sacrificial lamb.

Overall very excited with the parts coming in.

Here is a quick before and after for the taillight refresh. I had to peal the old film off and that was a sticky mess. Thankfully goof off did the trick and got the old adhesive off without damaging the lenses.

IMG_0404.thumb.jpg.256e9a81a83eebb3645d48b4d75d50c7.jpg

IMG_0402.thumb.jpg.222ffbde9cdd1811792efa226b2078ab.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the rear Brembos in recently and have them the same treatment as the fronts.

Just going to order up some new bleeders before I call them done.

Only thing left to call the brake system done is the adapter mounting brackets, pads and rotors. I’m prob going to get the adapter rotors this time around and get the extra thick parking brake shoes in the future.

eaa778b502ecd1e64768efdbd774b4d7.jpg

Bigger picture I need to get cracking on the wheel well refinish from my aforementioned undercoating fiasco.

I was hoping there would be some Memorial Day sales on the coil overs, but no luck. So the next big purchase will be the suspension, and that will be done too.

While this build is taking longer than I ideally would have liked, I’m glad I have taken my time. Every thing going on the car is either new, or is being refreshed to like new condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking awesome man!!

your doing it right which is rare thing these days. I like the progress.

Thanks fellas. I have had the question asked many times in the past as to when the car will be done. And the answer is usually some version of when I'm happy with it and no sooner.

Based on my spreadsheet I am about 8K into a car that is not even close to running, and I figure I have another 10k+ to put into it. I am very fortunate to have a good paying job and could have easily just gone out and purchased a new car, but where is the fun in that. One of the things I love about this platform is how analog it is, actually this is the last generation of cars that did not have all of the electronic nannies built-in. At least the 2005-06 did not have traction control, stability control, nothing except ABS.

For some that is a con, but for some of us that is a pro. Knowing that you are in complete control and that if you mess up it is all your fault really makes you humble when you have more than 300hp and relatively narrow tires, if you don't go for fender flares.

I'll keep at it as long as the budget permits.

Totally agree with your comments on these being super analog compared to pretty much everything thats come out since about 2010. I guess the ability to have all the nannies and turn them off would be a nice option but yeah these cars force you to take responsibility for any (potentially) bad choices you might make. I've had more than a few Nissan GT-R owners in the paddock give me a blank "what do you mean?" stare when I ask them I've they've ever tried to wring the car out with all that crap turned off.

Totally agree with your comments on these being super analog compared to pretty much everything thats come out since about 2010. I guess the ability to have all the nannies and turn them off would be a nice option but yeah these cars force you to take responsibility for any (potentially) bad choices you might make. I've had more than a few Nissan GT-R owners in the paddock give me a blank "what do you mean?" stare when I ask them I've they've ever tried to wring the car out with all that crap turned off.

We used to joke that the Porsche Stability Management (PSM) should have been called the Porsche Save My A$$ system. They make a lot of people feel like they are way better drivers than they actually are.

I like to follow some of the gridlife series and that is some all out driving. Given the vintage of the some of the cars in the field I don't think stability control was an option for most cars. But I'm sure that can be said for a lot of other series, like SCCA.

When I first started tracking my car, a fellow novice sold his new porsche to buy an older air-cooled version to get the "true" experience of driving a Porsche. His learning curve was steep but he came out with amazing driving skills. He was the first of our group to be promoted to instructor.

Now I instruct ppl who have owned Porsche cars and don't even understand how hard it used to be to complete the exercises they take for granted.

My first spin in the wagon happened while doing one of those exercises. With no nannies, once you loose grip, yer a physics experiment.

I am looking forward to spending time on track.

Life has a way of throwing curveballs my way. I got into the auto industry just to watch the bottom fall out of the economy. Changed careers, and now things are looking really positive, but I still have this relocation (will they, won't they) thing up in the air for way too long.

Me: I have so many plans!!!

Life: Hold my beer...

• 3 weeks later...

Well Its happening, we are moving to Honolulu.

This has been in the works for a while and is a great opportunity the only downside is the Legacy will go back on the back burner for a little while. I'm a little bummed out on this, but life is not a straight line, on the up side is I will build up the parts stock pile until I can turn some wrenches again.

The current state of the car is brake systems is all but done, just need rear rotors. I was holding off on purchasing coilovers (glad I did at this point) so I got some junkers on there now so I can put the car on the ground. Picked up some very cheap forged MOMO wheels (18x* +38) they had a little curb rash and terrible plasti dip. If I have time I'm going to refinish them before I put tires on them.

I will prob just buy a JDM 6 speed, and a built long block once the time comes. I'll reassess what turbos are on the market, but I'm looking for something like a Dom1.5 XTR.

It feels odd to say it but I'm at the point in my life where I will have more money than time, and as much as I love to do all my own work I have to get this done or I'll be an old man before I have all the time I want.

Thanks to everyone who has followed along, I will finish this project but moving 6000miles away is a big move and that requires all of my attention right now.

Edited by socalsleeper

best of luck in your future endeavors. Cars always come second to life. There's a small but hard-core group of subaru enthusiasts in the islands. FoCus is based on the big island (hot rod wagon). Couple others post on here from Hawaii.

I'll store your car & parts pile in Seattle. You can fly out on a direct flight anytime to play with it. I'll even put a ring in the shop so you can look at it from time to time. Of course, the ring may fail at odd times for unspecified reasons. You should get insurance. :)

Edited by boxkita

best of luck in your future endeavors. Cars always come second to life. There's a small but hard-core group of subaru enthusiasts in the islands. FoCus is based on the big island (hot rod wagon). Couple others post on here from Hawaii.

I'll store your car & parts pile in Seattle. You can fly out on a direct flight anytime to play with it. I'll even put a ring in the shop so you can look at it from time to time. Of course, the ring may fail at odd times for unspecified reasons. You should get insurance. :)

Thanks sounds good.

I look forward to providing some exciting updates hopefully sooner than later.

• 2 years later...

Long over due but a quick update. 

I recently purchased a new Outfront Motorsports shortblock, the Grocery Getter build. I also had them do a valve job on the cylinder heads so those are also ready to go. 

I also have top feed TGVs (I removed the center casting but left the butterfly flaps), a set of stock blue injectors (565cc), an APS hard inlet tube, and a VF52 on hand. The turbo will likely get a 16G wheel in it before start up. 

All this to say the current plan is to have this moving on its own power by late summer early fall. This is mostly due to any work requires a 5 hour flight each way or this would be much sooner. I'm fortunate to have a great paying stable job but island life is not cheap... Looking forward to getting this done. In the mean time I'm on the hunt for some parts on all the marketplaces, Ebay etc. The goal is the straightest line from A to B just so I can get it here, meaning this is going to be an odd bird, junkyard struts, OEM down pipe, with a built motor, upgraded turbo etc.  

• Like 4