LegacyGT.com

08 A/C compressor question

Ok let’s try this again. Because I’m an idiot, I originally accidentally posted this question in the photo thread but here goes.

Hey gang, my compressor is going out so I want to replace it, but every penny right now is going towards a down payment on a house. So I’m trying to save a few bucks by buying a used compressor. The problem I’m finding is I seem to be able to locate compressors for Legacy’s but I don’t know if the compressor is the same for a regular Legacy as it is on the GT. Anybody know? Thanks for any help you can provide!

I’m not 100% sure. The mechanic who looked at it said that it was pumping out at 50 degrees and then eventually would pump out at 61 and was making a noise. He recommended that I swap it out, then just bring it back and he’d recharge the system.

If the compressor is mechanically failing, it’s going to need a compressor, expansion valve and condenser. If you don’t replace them all and the compressor pushed metal shavings in the system, you run a high risk of trashing your replacement parts.

I think the AC in our cars is just terrible. I'd be really nervous about putting a used compressor in. As blackobxt said, if the compressor does completely fail, you're looking at a huge bill to take care of the metal that can go everywhere in the AC system. So I'm reluctant to say it in case it does fail, but I wonder if he's 100% certain the compressor is the problem. I've heard our cars can be super sensitive to the amount of refrigerant that's in the system, too much or too little and it won't work right at all. I think our cars take between 14-16oz of refrigerant. A "noise" is incredibly vague and could be anything.

I think the AC in our cars is just terrible. I'd be really nervous about putting a used compressor in. As blackobxt said, if the compressor does completely fail, you're looking at a huge bill to take care of the metal that can go everywhere in the AC system. So I'm reluctant to say it in case it does fail, but I wonder if he's 100% certain the compressor is the problem. I've heard our cars can be super sensitive to the amount of refrigerant that's in the system, too much or too little and it won't work right at all. I think our cars take between 14-16oz of refrigerant. A "noise" is incredibly vague and could be anything.

Of all the cars I’ve owned, these cars by far have the worst performing ac I’ve ever had and they are super unforgiving on charge.