LegacyGT.com

New BMW M5 Touring (or I want my Legacy STI wagon!)

ATB

To those who have said there is no market for a 400-500+ hp wagon, take a look at the new M5 touring BMW is reading for the US market. No market for high performance wagons, huh? :D

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103566

Very good quote at the end:

"The decision to forge ahead with the new model is driven by increased demand for performance wagons in the United States. “We’ve been monitoring the development of wagon sales in the USA carefully,” says our BMW source, “and after a long period of stagnation they are rebounding quite heavily, and there is a feeling an M5 Sports Wagon could do well."

And I can't even get a stick in the Legacy that was going to replace out WRX wagon. Go Subaru.

They haven't even sold the freaking M3 sedan over year for 6 years or so...

I nearly bought the 530iXT instead of the Outback XT, it's a lovely car, interior is miles ahead of Subaru. It was double the price though and felt underpowered. M5 certainly won't be underpowered, but loopy expensive is a certainty.

Yeah in my books there is totally nothing wrong with a E55 or M5 Estate. This has worked for both of these companies for years in Europe and its about time that countries like the USA and Australia, got with the program and made them more available. Looks like this is going to happen. Hold on AUDI, the rush is coming again.

Ada///M.

PS Flavio I would say the Estate will only come in SMG ONLY.

My business partner just paid $58k for a 530ix wagon.

Much nicer quality and inside is very nice - lot of nice little details.

My LGT is much faster, better looking (IMHO) and funner to drive.

Only cost $27k. :icon_bigg:icon_bigg

If they can make the M5 look better, then I might pop $80k for a M5 wagon in 08, but I think I will get the H6 turbo Leg wagon and an SL500 for $120. Not.

The new M5 wagon is definitely not the prettiest girl at the dance, but she'll sure be the one dancing on stage naked while the rest of us watch in awe!

...I think that is the best comment I have read/heard in a very long time!

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Oh yeah, bring back the 2.5 GT 5MT wagon so I can sell my car and get that!

This is why I am so bitter. I was planning to get an 06 or 07 GT to replace our 02 WRX wagon, but then Subaru went and killed the 5MT. GRRR. Almost enough to make me look at an S4 avant again..but just almost. At least the WRX will last long enough for me to be able to either afford a premium wagon or Subaru to re-release a manual GT.

Come on Subaru!

This is why I am so bitter. I was planning to get an 06 or 07 GT to replace our 02 WRX wagon, but then Subaru went and killed the 5MT.

Well, you could still get an Outback XT with 5MT and lower it.

Also, have you tried telling Subaru how you feel?

After discovering the integrated ACC/stereo issue in the 05-06 Legacies, I used the online email link on Subaru's web page to tell them they should have stuck to a double-DIN stereo, or at least gave an aux in option. I got a nice little form letter back saying something like "thanks for the input, we'll take it under consideration". I have no idea if it really helps, but I figure it couldn't hurt. I presume if SOA got a lot of them they might take notice.

If SOA doesn't think they can sell enough LGT 5MT wagons, why don't they just do a limited run of Spec B wagons?

If SOA doesn't think they can sell enough LGT 5MT wagons, why don't they just do a limited run of Spec B wagons?

Because it probably won't sell. It would sell but not enough numbers to make it worth their while to continue to make them. I get the feeling that in '05, they made everything available in everything (manual/auto, sedan/wagon). They played the waiting game to see what sold. From those concrete sales numbers, they then decided to eliminate combinations. I think they removed the LGT 5MT wagon because numbers showed them they didn't sell. Regardless of us throwing a hissy fit or not. Proof was in the pudding. You never know; this board may be a vocal minority.

I also agree that you should tell SOA how you feel. If they are smart, they will take opinions into consideration in order to make their brand better. If they don't, you wind up with another GM.

The hottest high perfomance wagon is still the RS6 avant. E55, M5, Magnum, Legacy et al. are no match for RS6 in my mind.

2002 RS6 Avant numbers:

4.2L V8 biturbo 450 bhp

Top Speed 250.0 kph / 155.3 mph 0 - 62 mph 4.8 seconds

2003 RS6 Avant Plus numbers:

4.2L V8 biturbo 483bhp

Top Speed 250.0 kph / 155.3 mph 0 - 62 mph

4.6 seconds

2000 Audi RS4 Avant

2.7 V6 biturbo 380 bhp

Top Speed 250.0 kph / 155.3 mph

0 - 62 mph 4.9 seconds

1995 Audi RS2 Avant

2.2L inline 5 turbo 315 bhp

Top Speed 262.3 kph / 163.0 mph

0 - 62 mph 4.8 seconds

I just loooooooooooooooooove the RS2... My favorite car ever - I was raised looking and admiring that beauty and example of perfection and machinery - hehehhehee !!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Because it probably won't sell. It would sell but not enough numbers to make it worth their while to continue to make them. I get the feeling that in '05, they made everything available in everything (manual/auto, sedan/wagon). They played the waiting game to see what sold. From those concrete sales numbers, they then decided to eliminate combinations. I think they removed the LGT 5MT wagon because numbers showed them they didn't sell. Regardless of us throwing a hissy fit or not. Proof was in the pudding. You never know; this board may be a vocal minority.

Well, I agree with your reasoning. I just wonder if SOA couldn't at least do, say 250, Spec B wagons. That's only half as many as the sedans. But you are probably right that that might still be too many to sell in a reasonable time frame. SOA probably would only offer Spec B wagons if the sedans sold well first.

and then every time you get to 62 mph in 4.8 seconds you drive to your closest audi dealer to reset your check engine light and whatever other electrical malfunction you have.

:munch::munch::munch:

Been there, done that...

Hahahahahahah

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Well, I agree with your reasoning. I just wonder if SOA couldn't at least do, say 250, Spec B wagons. That's only half as many as the sedans. But you are probably right that that might still be too many to sell in a reasonable time frame. SOA probably would only offer Spec B wagons if the sedans sold well first.

I'd buy one!

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Archived