LegacyGT.com

Turbo Rebuild or Replacement? '05 LGT Owner Looking for Advice

Hi All,

Unfortunately the turbo on my '05 LGT has failed. There seems to be turbine blades rattling in the exhaust side of the turbo and no boost. The car has 194K on it. The banjo bolts don't seem clogged and oil levels are fine. It randomly failed going uphill in cruise control at 110km/hr... puzzling.

I wanted to ask and see if anyone has any personal experience or advice on turbo replacements or rebuilds? I'm just looking to get an "in-kind" fix, so I can sell the car working as it should (i.e. no need to upsize). I recognize there are turbo wikis on the website, but I'm hoping to find someone with experience going through this process.

My main questions:

- Is it easy to find the part and replace the turbo?

- Is there a particular brand or website I should look at?

- How much (~) would this cost?

- Would this repair be worthwhile at this point (considering resale value)?

- Is buying a turbo rebuild kit a feasible option?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

Tay

• 2 weeks later...
I just bought an 05, the turbo was just replaced 15 miles before I bought it. He admitted that it was a cheap turbo that was less then 200 US dollars. Obviously it’s not the greatest option, but it works fine for me at the moment. I have plenty of power and with 1200 miles I have no issues yet. I know the oem is about $800 so this might be a good option to at least get the car functioning for a sale.