LegacyGT.com

AC Belt snapped

Hello,

Our AC has barely been working in our 2009 Legacy. It has been squealing as well. I am away from home and while my girlfriend was driving it she said that while stopped the car made an awful noise and a bit of smoke came out from the center of the hood. (front or back not sure). She said it drove fine after that. I am still away and a friend checked it out for me. He said it looks like the AC belt has snapped. My question is: Is this belt ONLY for the AC? If we drive it with no belt is that ok, or does it drive something else as well? I will be heading home tomorrow and just wanted to make sure the car would be safe enough for her to come pick me up.

Thanks in Advance.

PS - It's not a turbo engine. It's a 2.5L

Thanks a lot for answering my question. I appreciate it. I have ordered a new belt, so a friend and I will change it. Hopefully it will fix the AC, it hasn't been great for awhile now. The AC would stop blowing cold at idle and would squeal from time to time.

Since we're on the subject and I went out yesterday, I took some pictures for a super easy, super quick guide.

*Note* The new belt in the photo is not the A/C belt, but this is the process to get to the A/C belt and in doing so you can change the P/S belt (pictured above). If you're unsure of which belt you have, check the grooves inside of the belt and match them to the pulley lane that has the same amount of grooves. If the belt has 4 grooves, it's a P/S belt. If the belt has 3 grooves, it's your A/C belt.

Your local autoparts store should be more than capable of getting you the right belt, but I put too much faith in mine.

__________________________________________________________________________________

In order from left to right:

Set up: You'll need a 10mm socket, 12mm socket, a socket wrench, optional extension, new belt(s)

Step 1: Break loose the bolt (lower bolt) that holds the alternator to the tensioner bracket.

Step 2: Begin to loosen the tensioner bolt (top bolt) to.... well to relieve tension.

Step 3: Remove belt(s) and replace them.

Step 4: Do everything in reverse order.

If you don't have a belt tensioner tool/gauge, the best way to describe how tight your belt should be is "firm". If it's too loose, your belt will derail from the pulley tracks. If it's too tight, you'll snap this new belt. You want a little "give," but not too much. Technical specs can be found in the FSM.

IMG_3257-min.thumb.JPG.1337b559ae143685b894e6770de9a5de.JPG

IMG_3261-min.thumb.JPG.dabc1b93445e8cc65a0088eb4066f610.JPG

IMG_3260-min.thumb.JPG.fa485adb095dae09323811cc97d0d69a.JPG

IMG_3262-min.thumb.JPG.08462c47b5c5f1aab3df76901c0e6920.JPG

MILKRUN  - Click Here