LegacyGT.com

I need a bicycle, any riders?

I'd go 25 out of the choices listed. Most sources seem to indicate there's no significant increase in rolling resistance between 23 and 25, but 25s will be a tad more comfortable. 28 if the rims are too wide for 25s.

EDIT: That said, I ride 32c Schwalbe Marathons on my commuter and they're just fine from a rolling resistance standpoint. On long hauls I prefer a little more give.

Good looking bike, congrats!

Edited by awfulwaffle
added qualifier

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Stack Exchange:

Some of the confusion relates to the fact that there are different but equivalent ways to measure tire sizes. The first tire measurement you mentioned 44 622 refers to the tire width of 44 mm and rim bead seat diameter of 622 mm respectively. The second measurement type (700x45c) is a 45 mm wide tire that also fits on a rim with a 622 mm bead seat diameter, the 700c is an old French sizing nomenclature based on the final external diameter being 700 mm for width class of tire (e.g., a, b, c widths). (The final outside diameter is affected by the widths, so the three widths would have different bead seat diameters in order to get a final diameter of 700 mm).
https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/57437/44-622-700x45c-what-tyres-to-buy

So it seems to be a pretty standard tire size, but more common is the x-622 marking, so you might want a 32-622 or 37-622.

The 622 is the diameter of the rim, the 32 or 37 is how "fat" the tire is, both are millimeters.

Or a 23-622, but too small tire can be a pain in the butt too.

453747.png

700c is the 'diameter' of the wheel, though as ehsnils pointed out they're actually 622 mm diameter. However, rims will come in different widths as will car wheels. Generally, you don't 'stretch' a bike tire like you would on a car, so you want your rim to be the same width or narrower than your tire. There's a limit to how much narrower the rim can be than the tire.

shouldn't a 700c rim fit any 700c tire?

It could be that the rim is a bit too wide on the bead, so it could be a problem, you need to check the width so it's not wider than the tire or you'd get some issues with the tire creeping off when taking tight turns at speed or headaches with the tube wanting to come out between rim and tire when you try to get it together.

453747.png

I'll ask a follow up question. Have you tried riding the tires that came on the bike? The tread looks pretty smooth to me. I bet if you inflated them to their max rating so they're nice and stiff they'd ride pretty good without too much rolling resistance.

Just went for a stroll, tires aren't bad at all. For now its fine, sooooo

Let's talk about tech!

I need something to log heart rate from my watch, track my mileage, cadence, gps etc.

Any leads on a well priced product and an app?

Just went for a stroll, tires aren't bad at all. For now its fine, sooooo

Let's talk about tech!

I need something to log heart rate from my watch, track my mileage, cadence, gps etc.

Any leads on a well priced product and an app?

Strava.com

The official app for cyclists.

But you also need sensors for cadence. Speed you can get away with the built in GPS.

Honestl yhe watches are not that accurate. I do a HR strap feom Wahoo and have a Wahoo Bolt computer with all the sensors.

Edited by laz
---

I'm just not a fan of these big ass heavy tires lol

Bike weighs 32 lbs, i'm wondering if I can shave a lb or 1/2lb from these tires.

My take on this is and always has been - it's better/cheaper to take a pound off of me than it is to take a pound off the bike. Only at peak cycling condition back in college have I ever been able to justify spending money on lighter parts. Then I got a desk job, started lifting seriously and grew a powergut, and the hundreds of bucks I spent to cut a few lbs off my roadie are meaningless :lol:

• 3 years later...

Staying in good cycling shape can definitely make a bigger difference than shelling out on lighter parts, especially when life takes you in different directions like a desk job and serious lifting. Priorities shift, right?

By the way, have you ever considered checking out cycling insurance? It's a great way to ensure your investment stays protected, regardless of how the pounds are distributed – whether on you or the bike!

Edited by Kalgonchik