LegacyGT.com

CVT odd shifting

Has anyone else experienced what I would considering odd shifting of the CVT. I have an interstate onramp I use frequently that it happens almost every time (although it does happen elsewhere) where the transmission will shift up way too soon and way too many gears which will leave me with almost no responsivness to merge on the interstate. I will give it more gas but in typical CVT fashion there is not much response. So I will just do it myself and use the shift paddles and here where it gets worse. Its like the computer and transmission are not communicating. The car will be in 2nd, then when it should be going into 3rd it will instead shift up to 4th or 5th, then shifting down with the paddles the computer thinking its in 3rd will shift down to 2nd which makes the car brake instead of accelerate. In places other than the ramp I have let the car shift as it should, move the shifter into manual, see what gear its in, put it back in D, then paddle shift it down and almost without exception it will downshift two gears instead of one. I also drive 2020 Outbacks at work and they do the same thing.

Do you have the ability to change between "I" and "S" mode? If so - is it the same behavior?

Another factor - what's the engine temperature? Is it up to full temperature at that moment? You may encounter a rev limiting restriction if the engine isn't up to full working temperature.

453747.png

• 4 weeks later...
In response to the past torque converter failures on the early CVTs, Subaru changed the programming to do exactly what you're experiencing as their fix to prevent CVT failures. Instead of developing a new transmission or design, they recycled the old garbage and changed its programming. You literally have to mash the pedal to the floor to get response from the CVT or put it in manual mode (if your car even has it). It's the worst. We test drove a new Crosstrek, Forester, and Ascent at the auto show last year and they all did it. When we asked the Subaru rep, he said it was unfortunately normal. With the removal of the manual from their entire line, my pre-CVT Subaru will be the last one I buy. Shame, I really wanted the new Outback XT to replace my 07 Outback XT.