LegacyGT.com

Lowering an 2002 H.6 Outback BE

I'm interested in lowering my H.6 sedan outback but it seems difficult to find threads for this car, specifically on lowering it. I've come across threads for lowering the wagon version of the outback/legacy but the information given was sort of vague.

Thus, there's one thing I would like to confirm: Do LEGACY Coilovers (2000-2004) fit the H.6 Outback Sedan? Do they just bolt on and they're ready to go? Would I have to make any adjustments to the suspension of my car (lowering control arms etc...)? I heard the rear could sag but that only applies to wagon models of the outback, no? I'm not trying to slam it, I simply just my tire to be touching the fender so I can get rid of the big gap.

Currently: The manufacturers I'm looking at are Godspeeds and Rev9s, they produce coilovers for the 2000-2004 BE/BH legacy.

Another thing is that since I'm not trying to slam the car, could I just swap the outback struts with legacy STOCK struts (not kyb etc..). Simply, could I go to a pick-n-pull, pull out struts from a legacy wagon/sedan from 2000-2004 and slap it into my car? Would there be any issues?

Thank you so much for reading!

Anything suspension that fits a Legacy should fit an Outback, sedan or wagon. If you're really curious, you could check the specifications of the suspension tophats and compare them to what comes out of your car. As for sedan or wagon specific suspension, the H6 wagons and sedans are within 100 pounds of each other in empty weight IIRC, so weight shouldn't matter, especially if you chose adjustable coilovers and corner balance the car.

The "sag" in the rear is because Subaru transformed the Legacy into the Outback with taller coilover suspension and approximately 1" spacers for the rear subframe. This is true for the wagon and the sedan. The front subframe is NOT spaced on Gen 3's (I think it is on Gen 4's). Spacing the rear subframe down essentially "subtracts" an inch of ride height from Legacy suspension, causing the "sag".

As for "...bolt on and they're ready to go..." that all depends on how involved you want to get. The "correct" way to lower an Outback is to pull the rear subframe, remove the spacers, then bolt the subframe back in with Legacy bolts (this may require a Legacy prop shaft too, I can't remember if they're different between the Outback and the Legacy)(and you're also supposed to change the steering rack/steering column and couple other nitpicky things that I have since forgotten). The easy way is what I did. I run the JDM Legacy GT Bilstein shocks on my Outback wagon with 1" tophat spacers from Paranoid Fabrications (this also requires longer tophat bolts). It effectively "counteracts" the 1" rear subframe spacer by lengthening the strut itself. I run the front suspension as a direct bolt-in. I still sag a bit in the rear vs the front, but the overall ride is fine. My rear wheel perfectly fills the wheel well with the car sitting. The front looks a little monster truck-y, but it was a cheap swap so I don't particularly care. I have changed no other suspension components and have noticed no increase in suspension component wear over 15K of driving (if you modify any vehicle's suspension, it is recommended to inspect it more frequently).