LegacyGT.com

Tinting Old Headlights

My 2010 OEM lights are starting to show their age and I know sanding and putting a UV protectant on will clear them up, but I also know that that will turn into a yearly project. I've tried aftermarket headlights but holy shit what a terrible experience aiming them. What I did like about them was the mild tint they had that looked great on my black car. I'm curious if I were to clean/buff/whatever my OEM housings and then have someone put a tint film on them, would they still yellow, and if they did, could you even tell under the film?

Sidebar, are there any decent tutorials on retrofitting HID/xenon/whatever lights into our OEM housings?

There is a kit on theretrofitsource.com that drops in. Projectors with laser cut brackets. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-retroquik-subaru-legacy-CRK-RQ-LEGACY?quantity=1

Member brunzo here has also posted details of his own conversion including the bi-xenon projector type he used and bracket dimensions, and he has found links to premade brackets on aliexpress and kindly posted them too.

That route may come out cheaper, have not done the math yet. (For euro/jdm/ausdm/rest of the world lights, not sure yet if they fit the US lights).

There are films specifically for headlights and limited previous research says they have UV protection for what you want.

Some info and pics on headlight retrofits here:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/did-you-do-your-5th-gen-todayii-v4-267765.html?p=5923624#post5923624

Link to prefab brackets posted here:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2012-legacy-liberty-gt-dim-low-beam-282880p2.html

Awesome, thanks for all the help here guys. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this finally satisfies me and I can stop making headlight posts.

There is a kit on theretrofitsource.com that drops in. Projectors with laser cut brackets. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-retroquik-subaru-legacy-CRK-RQ-LEGACY?quantity=1

Member brunzo here has also posted details of his own conversion including the bi-xenon projector type he used and bracket dimensions, and he has found links to premade brackets on aliexpress and kindly posted them too.

That route may come out cheaper, have not done the math yet. (For euro/jdm/ausdm/rest of the world lights, not sure yet if they fit the US lights).

There are films specifically for headlights and limited previous research says they have UV protection for what you want.

Some info and pics on headlight retrofits here:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/did-you-do-your-5th-gen-todayii-v4-267765.html?p=5923624#post5923624

Link to prefab brackets posted here:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2012-legacy-liberty-gt-dim-low-beam-282880p2.html

Just to be clear, with the retrofit kit, a ballast is necessary for these to work? And as far as "drop in", does this involve baking and removing the glass/plastic/whatever it is in front of the projectors?

I believe Lamin-X sells headlight film that is tinted.

Edit: here is the link

https://lamin-x.com/subaru-legacy-10-12-headlight-covers.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never gone the laminx route, I was actually considering going to a shop that does this stuff which I'm sure costs way more. Anyone try laminx on here without issue?

Glad to hear the praise for laminx. It's looking like my weekend will be filled with wetsanding/buffing/polishing/ReNuLite to get these things looking new and ordering the Laminx and installing when they get here.

I'm not exactly looking forward to cracking these open to install the xenon replacements. Anyone know if this is a relatively straight-forward install once the glass has been removed? I know the brackets are laser cut and all that but i cant exactly keep this thing off the road with it being my daily driver.

Edited by pseudonym

Glad to hear the praise for laminx. It's looking like my weekend will be filled with wetsanding/buffing/polishing/ReNuLite to get these things looking new and ordering the Laminx and installing when they get here.

I'm not exactly looking forward to cracking these open to install the xenon replacements. Anyone know if this is a relatively straight-forward install once the glass has been removed? I know the brackets are laser cut and all that but i cant exactly keep this thing off the road with it being my daily driver.

I would just clean the headlights and throw the Laminx over them once the clearcoat is dry. It seems like a lot of work to crack open headlights and have to possibly bake them.

I would just clean the headlights and throw the Laminx over them once the clearcoat is dry. It seems like a lot of work to crack open headlights and have to possibly bake them.

It is a lot of work, especially if you have never done it before. I love the look, but will never do that again.

Here is a link to the process I went through on mine:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jdm-clone-headlight-project-280778.html

The cracking open I'm referring to is in order to convert to xenon in place of the halogens. Not for the cleaning/tinting process.

The end result hopefully will be headlights that won't go yellow from UV and eliminating the need to change my lightbulbs twice a year.

The cracking open I'm referring to is in order to convert to xenon in place of the halogens. Not for the cleaning/tinting process.

The end result hopefully will be headlights that won't go yellow from UV and eliminating the need to change my lightbulbs twice a year.

Yah I understand that. Cracking the headlights open seems like a real pain in the ass :lol:.

They have a 2 year warranty, and light output to me is much better. As far as lifespan, at least that long. Humble did a write up I believe and I have some before and after pics as well.

bcd4ea5bac58ec5a4ecde7c28d38d686.jpg

4bdb49381a4a5d07101263e4871a2725.jpg

Edited by Falcor

Looked up the member who you’re referring to and the threads you’re talking about and with the amount of praise these vleds get and lifespan without the need to bake and perform surgery to install, I’m ordering right now.

I really think they are with the money. After a lot of research and waiting for a good deal, they are a great alternative to HID’s. LED tech has really improved over the years and the fact that they are plug and play won me over.

Just a heads up, that are a pain to install through the fender well. I would recommend pulling the bumper off to be able to get the LEDs mounted straight. I had an issue getting the clip to snap down without seeing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a heads up, that are a pain to install through the fender well.

I can confirm it is very difficult to do it through the wheel well. The left side was harder for me, and I ended up with both arms all cut up and and bruised up. I also didn't fully clamp the right bulb in so it ended up taking me 2 days to replace the bulbs. I even had to ask my mother to help since her hands are a lot smaller than mine.

Why would anyone change their bulbs through the wheel well instead of pulling the bumper?

I'm not the greatest at doing "larger" jobs like removing bumpers and such. Changing the bulb again wouldn't be as hard if I needed to do it since I now know how to do it through the wheel well, but that won't be the case since I'm trying to sell my car lmao.

Edited by Alexmed2002

you'd be surprised how easy it is to remove the bumper--mainly those little pop clips holding it on, and with a $10 pair of pop clip pliers from harbor freight, it takes....10 minutes? maybe 20 minutes the first time? still, luckily you wont have to worry about it.

yeah, i had to replace em 3 times in a year, so i said F it and decided to be "that" asshole and just got a cheap HID drop in kit for them. after aiming them properly there's not much glare, but i still hate being that guy.

I was that guy when I bought those knock off headlights you find all over the place and quickly found out that aiming them was basically impossible. Drove like that till a bulb burned out and swapped back in the old lights.