LegacyGT.com

EyeSight Turning off in high heat

I’m in AZ and we’re just starting to warm up in summer and my EyeSight has started acting up. It’s working normally in the morning but as soon as the windshield starts to heat up in the afternoon the EyeSight turns off, says to check owners manual and the check engine light comes on. Anyone have this issue before or something similar? Figured I’d ask you fine folks before I take it to the dealer. I Wonder what the temps are that the EyeSight is limited to...

It's covered in the 2015 EyeSight manual. When the vehicle cabin temperature is very high, the EyeSight system may enter Temporary Stop mode to protect itself against thermal damage. EyeSight will resume operation when the temperature drops to a more normal value.

That said, I've parked both our 2015 Legacy and 2016 Outback in direct sun in northern Arizona (Winslow) in August on numerous occasions, and I've only seen EyeSight enter thermal shutdown once or twice in either vehicle.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I don't recall seeing a check engine light when eyesight has been disabled for any reason, heavy rain, fog etc. I have a feeling whatever is causing the check engine light is what is disabling your eyesight.

Thanks, I’ll read up on the manual for sure. I’m in the valley (Gilbert) and we’re reaching pretty hot temps lately and it’s happened a few times but mainly when we are just sitting idle at a drive thru or the like. Do you remember if it turns on the check engine light as well or could that be a separate issue? Thanks in advance.

If the Check Engine light illuminates, there should be a corresponding DTC trouble code (or codes) set. Reading the DTCs would be a good place to start.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

One thing that I had an issue with was the front shutter. Check to make sure there are no rocks or debris impeding either the shutter opening or closing in the lower grille. I had a rock that was blocking the shutters from opening and it popped a check engine light.

Dennis