LegacyGT.com

Review of JmP Custom VF52

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker/learner here. I was fortunate enough to meet up with JMP in-person a couple weeks ago after hearing he lives close by to me in the midwest. As many others have said, his work is outstanding and couldn't be a nicer, more helpful guy. My dad was visiting to help with removing/installing/breaking-in the turbo and repairing some vacuum leaks I had along the way. We had to ask JMP a few times for guidance and recommendations during the process and he was quick to respond with solutions. My '05 is running better than the day I got it (rebuilt using the "Custom" option at 119k mi)! Huge thank you to JMP for making the time to complete the rebuild early so my dad and I could put the car back together correctly and take our time doing so.

BEFORE

AFTER

Just to be clear... if I send him a vf40 core he can rebuild it with ball bearings and other improved components?

...and if I did so, would I need a tune or would it basically just be a bit sharper than stock?

I have the old vf40 from my first LGT just sitting in my garage collecting dust. :shrug:

Just to be clear... if I send him a vf40 core he can rebuild it with ball bearings and other improved components?

...and if I did so, would I need a tune or would it basically just be a bit sharper than stock?

I have the old vf40 from my first LGT just sitting in my garage collecting dust. :shrug:

You'll need a retune. General rule of thumb when replacing turbos unless its same model OEM to OEM.

If it's a custom VF40 you'll need a tune and DP, not positive on a stock rebuild but I think you're good to go.

• 4 weeks later...
As always, thanks much for all the kind words. You're the best, hands down.

Look in the 2005-2009 FS thread-a couple of brand new items for sale. I think you'll like them.

Got a website that’ll be up soon? Highly interested in your work! I’m slowly organizing my “light build” and will need to get everything gathered up as time goes on. I figured best to start with looking at my options for turbo replacements/ upgrades and go from there. 09 LGT.

Hope all is well, John!

-Brian

• 2 months later...
Would be interested on some before/after reviews from someone who's run a stock VF52 or EVO III 16G, and then had them worked by JMP.

I wanted to come back and answer this. JMP's Custom VF52 is a different kind of animal. It is definitely faster in all respects than the EVO III 16G, as I did a few pulls around june/july last year with my friend.

My buddy has a SpecB with the EVOIII 16G - Etuned and running in Sports#(stock injectors, fuel pump & upgraded TMIC)

My SpecB with Custom VF52 - Etuned for sports mode only(1k injectors, DW300c, Grimspeed TMIC)

I had bus lengths on him, and If I had been tuned for sports# I think there would have been a little more in there. I personally think JMP's custom VF52 turbo is closer to an 18g but smaller than a 20g.

Also I wanted to point out that after nearly 15k(5k@ 11psi & 10k@ 19psi) there is absolutely zero play in the shaft. No in, out, left, or right play at all!

Will be very interesting to see how this turbo performs with a built motor with full compliments of bolt-ons. Since most of the setups have been on stock blocks.

One of JMP's turbo's should be your second upgrade after an accessport.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Awesome, thanks for the input. I happen to have an Evo III 16G coming off of the car for an x500 in the near future. I fully expect to miss the low end response of the 16G .... sounds like a good candidate for JMP magic if John has the time.

• 4 months later...
In my case, the peak boost at sea level is around 19 psi which translates into a peak load of ~3.3 g/rev at 65F or so. Feels good. But then, at 2600 ft elevation and about same temp, the stock tune uses a multiplier to decrease target boost (so as to supposedly save the turbo -- and that makes sense since it works harder at higher elevations). So right now my peak boost is about 16.5 sometimes 17 psi at that ambient temp, which yields a meh load of 2.75 g/rev if lucky. I miss 3+ g/rev load (read torque). I know if I get a bigger turbo it would fix the problem, but then it would be laggy...

In my case, the peak boost at sea level is around 19 psi which translates into a peak load of ~3.3 g/rev at 65F or so. Feels good. But then, at 2600 ft elevation and about same temp, the stock tune uses a multiplier to decrease target boost (so as to supposedly save the turbo -- and that makes sense since it works harder at higher elevations). So right now my peak boost is about 16.5 sometimes 17 psi at that ambient temp, which yields a meh load of 2.75 g/rev if lucky. I miss 3+ g/rev load (read torque). I know if I get a bigger turbo it would fix the problem, but then it would be laggy...
O the woes of living at 3,600 to make matters worse my favorite drive is 5k to 8k will be interesting to see how the 16g runs

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, I DM’d JMP about a turbo for my wagon as the VF46 is just not enough power for my liking these days. I have a 5MT and I’ve done a couple ride alongs in auto Legacy GTs with VF52s and personally felt just a bit disappointed in the power. I know the auto saps some power but I’m thinking a turbo with just a bit more oomph would be right up my alley and inquired about a JMP rebuilt 16G EVOIII.

Has anybody compared the two turbos on a manual car? Does the JMP version of the VF52 feel that much better than a stock IHI one? Thanks.

My vf52 is stock, even on stock fueling, it's so much better than the vf40 it replaced. See the torque climb from 2500-3200 rpm. That's the tune from Tuning Alliance. tuningalliance@gmail.com

My heads have some porting done down in the valve pocket and the dividers thinned a bit. The car has good midrange response.

854969471_Dynosheet.thumb.jpg.574a1afe252c50b6a383365e9792f293.jpg

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Can't give you an exact apples to apples comparison as I was running one, (stock IHI VF52) with a pump / 740 injectors on my '05 GT wagon 5MT and one (JMP 11 blade VF-52), on stock injectors and OEM pump, on my current '08 Outback XT 5MT. I can say that even the OEM IHI VF52 with injectors, pump, and my Perrin TMIC, tuned at Cobb Surgeline was a big bump from my previous VF40 on stock fueling, Perrin TMIC, tuned at Cobb Surgeline. Way meatier torque numbers and better power up top but with pretty similar OEM boost response. I ran that set up for years in the '05 when it was still a dual duty street / track car. Can only imagine what JMP's VF52 would do with proper fueling. I'm sure it would be a fun street turbo. Of course can't say enough about the JMP 16G I'm currently running in my '05 track car :)

Can't give you an exact apples to apples comparison as I was running one, (stock IHI VF52) with a pump / 740 injectors on my '05 GT wagon 5MT and one (JMP 11 blade VF-52), on stock injectors and OEM pump, on my current '08 Outback XT 5MT. I can say that even the OEM IHI VF52 with injectors, pump, and my Perrin TMIC, tuned at Cobb Surgeline was a big bump from my previous VF40 on stock fueling, Perrin TMIC, tuned at Cobb Surgeline. Way meatier torque numbers and better power up top but with pretty similar OEM boost response. I ran that set up for years in the '05 when it was still a dual duty street / track car. Can only imagine what JMP's VF52 would do with proper fueling. I'm sure it would be a fun street turbo. Of course can't say enough about the JMP 16G I'm currently running in my '05 track car :)

I know you moved to Bend recently but if you come by Surgeline do ya think I could tag along for a ride in either car you bring? Idk if you have plans to drive that far but it might help me decide what I want :)

I know you moved to Bend recently but if you come by Surgeline do ya think I could tag along for a ride in either car you bring? Idk if you have plans to drive that far but it might help me decide what I want :)

For sure, just a bit of a moving target when I’ll be in town :lol: much better chances of being in the Outback as I pretty much drive the Legacy to the track, on the track and home from the track, (except when it’s in pieces because of a dumb ass deer…)

As Max said the VF52 is solid. I went with it after reading his list and saw his build. I got an OEM one from Subaru, and I also have ID1000 injectors, DW65 pump, ID Fuel Rails, customs AN lines, Radium STI FPR kit, Radium FP gauge, and I will tell you this, the car is nuts in 3 gear. The tuner on the dyno told me if I was going to be in a heated highway pull, 3rd and 4th is your strong gear. I would like to know how much better the Jmp 11 blade is over the OEM 52. My shop is doing a hybrid rally turbo and told me it would be night and day difference from my VF52. I plan on going that direction.