LegacyGT.com

08 Spec B rear diff cover bolt

SpecDubC

So I bought a few new bolts and gasket plate for my rear diff and one of the holes needs chasing. Just wondering if anyone knows what size metric bolt and thread pitch it is? Also I've bought a lot of OEM bolts from dealers, a good portion shipped, some local. I saw some older posts where someone recommended a third party supplier. If there's some sticky or post regarding all this information I could see that being very useful. I was looking to buy a tap and die set just cause I've encountered a lot of old bolt holes that needed chasing but managed to clear most of them up using pb blaster (mostly suspension). Also if anyone has any recommendations on a tap and die set for Subarus, SAE is nice too but honestly having a robust metric only set with more sizes would be my preference. I believe this is an R180 rear diff as its the 08 spec b. Picture for reference.

Thanks

81a89b793385c1861def638a2b888f01.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Answered my own question here, it's M10-1.25 bolt shank. 14mm drive size for reference. I was wondering if anyone else has typical leak issues with these rear diff covers? I am thinking about replacing another of the bolts which may be at issue but I have them torqued to spec, 33ftlbs now so maybe no more leaks.

Had to go to advance Auto parts for the tap, about $8 well spent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Glad you got it fixed. Next time think about putting that $8 towards small metric tap set.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200767134_200767134?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Hand%20Tools%20%3E%20Tap%20%2B%20Die%20Sets&utm_campaign=Craftsman&utm_content=88258&msclkid=0a075a3959b119949ff2049e4e7b4eb6

I'd recommend going with the next size set up or at least pick up the 12mm X1 I think is the lug nut size.

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=metric+tap+set&FORM=SHOPTB

May be it would make a great birthday gift, Xmas present, or Fathers day gift...LOL

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here