LegacyGT.com

2005 legacy engine failure

Hi, I am new to this site. Please be patient as I am not a mechanic. I am hoping that someone will be able to guide me to correct conclusion.

My son purchased a 2005 legacy from private party on the west coast. The person who sold it to him I think put a turbo charger on the car. (not absolutely sure) Anyway he drove across country, no problems. After a few months the engine died. He ended up taking it to a specialty shop in the midwest, was given a quote to rebuild engine. Well that price has more than doubled. The engine is fixed but I am wondering if he can go without the turbo.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

(Edited to remove identifying, specific details)

Edited by hodosh

Then no, you can't easily just pull the turbo and run naturally aspirated. I mean, it's physically possible but the turbo motors are lower compression than the naturally aspirated ones, and the car will probably be an absolute dog. The computer would not like the missing turbo either, complicating things further. We can get into details on why exactly it wouldn't work easy if you'd like, but suffice it to say you wouldn't save any money and would gain a bunch of headaches if you tried to do it.

Then no, you can't easily just pull the turbo and run naturally aspirated. I mean, it's physically possible but the turbo motors are lower compression than the naturally aspirated ones, and the car will probably be an absolute dog. The computer would not like the missing turbo either, complicating things further. We can get into details on why exactly it wouldn't work easy if you'd like, but suffice it to say you wouldn't save any money and would gain a bunch of headaches if you tried to do it.

No, really don't need to get in depth, especially don't want the headaches. Thanks for your reply. Sent you PM

If it was done right, the car will run for many years with proper maintenance. The key is proper maintenance. My new OEM short block has over 136,000 trouble free miles since I put it in, May 2012. Oh, that price is not bad as long as it was done right.

I keep up with all the maintenance and use great oil.

You'll want to have him log in here and learn some things.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah there must have been some big issues more than just the turbo. 6k to fix the car buy a special shop is not bad. I was quoted 2500 for min that goes in next monday, but I have the short block and more parts then a performance shop. I would keep the car and drive it for sure if it is fixed and running good