LegacyGT.com

Engine stutters when accelerating with AC on

When i´m going over 60 mph at steady speed an AC on the engine has no problems, but i slow down and try to accelerate, it loses power, like it´s a misfire or low fuel (kind of when i release the cluth too early) but if i turn off the AC the car has no problem.

This happens only whit the AC on and during acceleration under 60 mph, thats the weird part.

Well the AC compressor is probably original and decades old. This could be a number of things. The compressor has bearings and seals that wear out. If you want the easiest solution order a new compressor, belt, and ac o-ring kit. Evac the refrigerant, replace belt and compressor. Replace as many ac orings you care to disassemble. (Should only need 2 if you're only changing the orings at the compressor.) Then get an ac service from a shop.

If you want to be cheap looks for visual signs of leaking refrigerant at all visible connections. (Look from the bottom up)

You could try to an evac/recharge with Oil and dye in case the compressor is low on oil, but you might end up having to pay for replacement including ANOTHER evac and recharge expense.

I believe it's probably most likely that the compressor pump mechanism and/or the compressor bearings are bad. This usually requires a new compressor. No flat rate tech is going to want to bother with an overhaul not would they have easy access to reppacent parts. Even then the parts and labor for overhaul would be pretty close to a new compressor.

Change the belt while you're in there.