LegacyGT.com

Gen6 3.6R timing cover oil leak at low miles

Over on subaruoutback.org there is a topic under the ‘Gen 5: 2015-2019’ sub-forum called 2019 3.6R timing cover leak questions.

A few owners have noticed the timing cover on their 3.6R engines leaking oil even on 2018/19 models with low miles or kms. Unfortunately our 2019 Outback 3.6R happens to be one of those.

This leak isn’t something that is easily noticed due to the area of the timing cover that shows the oil leak being under the front of the engine & covered by the plastic engine bay under-cover. I suggest anyone with a 3.6R that is still under warranty having a look to see if it is leaking.

On the Outback 3.6R the left bottom side of the timing cover can be seen with the aid of a torch by looking forward through a gap in the plastic engine bay under-cover, but I can’t remember if the Legacy or Liberty has this gap. Removing the plastic engine bay under-cover is the best way to see if the timing cover is leaking.

(Mods, feel free to move this to a more appropriate sub-forum if needed. I posted here because I thought it may get more coverage).

• 3 weeks later...