LegacyGT.com

Weird idling in car wash

It’s been awhile since I’ve been on this forum. I need some help with a really weird issue I’m having. 2008 legacy GT. 83k miles.

In the auto car wash, whenever the high pressure jets hit the front left corner and go rearward the car starts to misfire and idle really rough.

Water on intercooler? JK

Any ideas???

I have a vid on my iPhone, how do I attach it here?

Front left as in right in front of the driver on a USDM car?

I was thinking that, if you had an aftermarket intake, you might experience some issues with the MAF when it becomes doused with water.

I never got through a car wash like that. Just spray it off, and stay away from the spots you do not want to spray. I also only hand wash or spray wash at a manual wash.

I washed my 04 STI motor before a show one time and I was in a 1 horse town and my car would not start. :spin:I was sick, it finally got started and I got the hell out of dodge.

Driver side front. Stock intake.

How do I post a video from I phone on here?

It’s winter time in Alaska. Hand washing not much an option, I do occasionally hit up the inside do it yourself. The convince of here and there running my vehicles through the Touchless wash is nice. Plus I’ll really only truly baby one of my rides which sits waiting in the garage all winter

I just know the car shouldn’t be doing this

Edited by akwagon

If you really have to go through an automated car wash I say shut the car off especially with an aftermarket air intake.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

If you really have to go through an automated car wash I say shut the car off especially with an aftermarket air intake.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Intake is stock

How do I post video from I phone

I recently had a few significant issues with engine performance. One thing in particular was that my car would stumble considerably in wet conditions, including after a car wash.

Long story short, I replaced the upstream O2 sensor and during the repairs I noticed all the wire insulation was compromised on the old sensor. Very fine cracks on all 4 wires right up against the sensor.

I used to have this exact same issue. Never specifically found out what it was, but it went away around the same time I changed my coils and spark plugs so I assumed it was that. I replaced a whole bunch of stuff within a few month period so there were a handful of things that it could have been, but that's what makes the most sense to me.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I came across your post about the misfiring issue with your 2008 Legacy GT. That's definitely a weird problem! I'd recommend looking at the intercooler and making sure there's no water build-up there. Also, have you thought about pressure washing the engine bay? Sometimes, dirt and grime can accumulate in hard-to-reach places and cause issues like this. You might also want to check out Sparklewash (https://sparklewash.com/fleet-washing/); they specialize in pressure washing cars, including engine bays. They might be able to help diagnose and fix the problem. As for attaching the video from your iPhone, you can upload it to a file hosting site like Dropbox or Google Drive and then share the link in your post. Good luck, and I hope you get to the bottom of this issue!

Edited by LeonWatson