LegacyGT.com

A/T clunks when using manual mode

As I said in an earlier post, I've owned my 2005 GT wagon with A/T since new. It's always been pampered and has 130k on it. I'm taking it to my first track day later this month so have been experimenting with the manual mode of the trans. I'm proficient with a "real" manual, but am having some issues with the Subaru.

When upshifting under moderate-to-hard acceleration, the upshifts are great. However, if I lift off or am just going a steady speed, the upshift from 3-4 hesitates, then "clunks." It feels like you've been tapped from behind. This also happens in sport mode and sometimes in regular automatic mode on the 3-4 upshift.

Downshifts are fine under power, but if you're decelerating to a stop light, etc., the 3-2 shift hesitates and "clunks." I tried to heel-and-toe downshift from 3-2, but there's no improvement.

Is this to be expected or is there something i can have my mechanic check? Thanks very much.

Peter

The dreaded turbine sensor 2 failure rearing it's ugly head? A quick search will reveal a wealth of info on replacing this sensor. It involves dropping the valve body.

Many 5EAT's seem to respond differently. My car is affected in the 2-3 upshift only. All other shifts up or down are good and consistent. If I perform a reset through freeSSM it is good for a while. Also, just recently I started driving the car in S# mode and it shifts much better all around. This is on a 2009 with 69k miles and a few dump and fills of trans fluid using Idemitsu.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk