LegacyGT.com

Looking for suggested parts to build a short block

I can get the 10103AD020 short block for 1720 if peeps need to order it. I set some sourcing up through my business. I'm curious as to what extent the thicker crown is a benefit.

thicker crown is equivalent to a harder head. :) Boosted engines put more heat into top of piston and the top ring. If the top is closer to top of piston there's less support which has higher likelihood of failure.

Wiseco has a nice blog on pistons. :)

To be fair, an oem setup that's well cared runs 200k miles. An oem setup that's beat on doesn't. Once you start modifying, your engine's lifetime is reduced often substantially. The more structural support you build in, the longer the system lasts before failure. Or you can rebuild every 400miles like WRC rally and build a 600hp grenade.

Ringland failure is purported to be from the top ringland being too thin to handle high boost levels. Going to forged pistons reduces this failure percentage. There are many other factors in play too: gas quality, tune, temperatures, fuel injectors, knock management, etc.

Once you get past the oem parts list and tune, parts selection and tuning support become critical. Having reasonable expectations helps alot too. Building a 1000hp dd that's flogged once a week at one off ramp is going to have a different life expectancy than a 350hp track toy that is beat all day saturday.

350 on a stock high mileage engine is a disaster waiting to happen.

Gotcha. If you're not doing your own labor I guess an off the shelf short block is the most economical.

With E85 (hopefully a flex sensor) a stock short block is plenty.

I'm really curious about the new 2.4L turbo.

I showed you this up-pipe from my collection. https://www.cobbtuning.com/cobb-history-inconel-up-pipe/

PPG upgrade? Its $$$$$$$$...$$$$. Obviously this link is crazy money but you get the idea: https://www.ppgearbox.com/product-page/subaru-6-speed-sequential-gear-system-2. . They also make gear sets for the 5mt and 6mt that are not sequential.

Holy ____ that's a lot of money... I'd bet Weddle or someone makes some hardened gears for these things...

thicker crown is equivalent to a harder head. :) Boosted engines put more heat into top of piston and the top ring. If the top is closer to top of piston there's less support which has higher likelihood of failure.

Wiseco has a nice blog on pistons. :)

To be fair, an oem setup that's well cared runs 200k miles. An oem setup that's beat on doesn't. Once you start modifying, your engine's lifetime is reduced often substantially. The more structural support you build in, the longer the system lasts before failure. Or you can rebuild every 400miles like WRC rally and build a 600hp grenade.

Ringland failure is purported to be from the top ringland being too thin to handle high boost levels. Going to forged pistons reduces this failure percentage. There are many other factors in play too: gas quality, tune, temperatures, fuel injectors, knock management, etc.

Once you get past the oem parts list and tune, parts selection and tuning support become critical. Having reasonable expectations helps alot too. Building a 1000hp dd that's flogged once a week at one off ramp is going to have a different life expectancy than a 350hp track toy that is beat all day saturday.

The intersecting curves of reduced forged lifespan and ringland stress on cast pistons is where the question here lies. Basically how efficacious is the 2mm thicker crown? It's a fairly new development so we may have to see for adequate evidence.